1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

200mm F.4 Canon FD SSC

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by KS11, May 10, 2011.

1. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    picked up a cheap 200mm, had a lens case, both lens cap, smooth aperture adjustments and no fungus at all. the focusing ring was a little loose on the body but a few adjustments later (re: homemade repair) it's focusing great.

these are some pics of it on my G1

2. KZEE

KZEE Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2010
    I don't have a m4/3 camera (yet), but I've got the 200/4 lens that I use with my A1 film camera and the 200 is a great lens. Post of few pics with the lens when you get a chance.

3. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    there were a couple of versions of this i discovered, some with macro and some with zooms, unfortunately this was the fixed version but it has a built in lens hood though.

i was trying to shoot the moon, this was mounted on my epl1 and tripod with evf2, and i had some problems with noise as you can see from the crops above.

the canon gives back some very cool 'faded' colours that i never saw on my other lenses.

4. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    i like mine too. but as you said, the focus ring is a little bit loose. can you pls show us what adjustment did you make on the ring? tia.

5. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    for the focus ring,
    you will need to take off the 3 small screws holding it onto the lens,

then you extend the lens hood to its furthest position,

push the focusing ring up towards the lens hood (revealing the focusing mechanism)

you will see the brass (?) gold coloured focusing ring mechanism with slots in it

all i did was put some rubber bands into those slots and squeeze the focusing ring back onto it.

this procedure is totally reversible and makes the focusing ring stick to the mechanism.

hope this helps, cheers.

6. KZEE

KZEE Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2010
    That's interesting about the faded colors with the 200mm mounted on your G-1 - on my film camera my 200 is as bright and vibrant as any of my other lenses.

7. I agree that KS11's 200/4 SSC may have "matured" differently. I just took mine out of the display case and took a few shots with it and the colours are as I would expect. Are the glass elements all clear when you peer through it?

8. KZEE

KZEE Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2010
    I don't know if you were addressing your question to me, but the glass on my lens is clear as a bell. Perhaps KS11's lens might have some mold issues or some such thing which is giving him the faded appearance.

9. Sorry yes, it was addressed to KS11. Mine is also clear aside from the odd dust speck.

10. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    nope, mine is very clear and free of mold, any hazing or anything at all...its strange though why i have these colours.

11. a23bed

a23bed New to Mu-43

May 8, 2011
    Istanbul
    I have two copies of the new FD 200 f/4, both have very soft focusing mechanism, not loose per say, but the slightest touch moves the focus.

Tried your recommendation, removed the 3 screw, but couldn't budge the focusing ring.

Would you know if the nFD has a different mechanism?

Thanks in advance.