1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

2008 Caliber SRT-4, shot in pitch darkness with a E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by littleMT, May 1, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    The 20mm lens did better I think then the 14mm, the 14mm was used in shots 3 and 4...

all long exposures with camera on a tripod.

ncalb-1.

the very bright light is the planet Venus.

ncalb-2.

ncalb-3.

ncalb-4.

• Like Like x 25
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Very nice, very nice indeed. You're becoming the wiz girl using that PL1, I really like shot #2. Keep 'em coming.

3. VisualFeast

VisualFeast Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    GSP
    Shot #2 is sweet! Thanks for sharing.

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

These look great mate! I would love to try something like this with my car but I haven't got a clue. What settings did you use?

best,
    icon

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

NICE! The first two almost look like the cover of a dealer brochure.

6. dennisb

dennisb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2012
    Very nice shots! Totally my style!

7. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Just when I thought I could say goodbye to my EPL-1 and this shot appear...very nice....:bravo-009:

8. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Agreed, very nicely done. #3 and #4 could definitely use a longer exposure.

9. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

Camera on a tripod, 20mm at f/1.7, 15 second exposure, ISO 400.
    Manual focus, focused to infinity. MF assist set to on, to ensure I had focus
    on the car..

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Thanks for the inspiration, I'll have to give this a go with my new impreza!

11. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    That's really strange for #3 and #4. I would think that a 15 sec exposure for the 14 f/2.5 would have been brighter than that. It really makes me rethink getting the GF3 14 combo just to get that lens for my E-M5.

Maybe I should just save and get the 20 f/1.7 instead.

I love #1 and #2. Another cool trick is to wet the ground around the car and catch some cool reflections ;) Understandably, you probably don't have access to a water hose out in the desert...LOL.

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    When you're talking exposure into multiple seconds (and minutes) it becomes much more trial and error - the fact that they are under-exposed has nothing to do with the lens, cameras can't meter at these light levels regardless of lens type - it has nothing at all to do with the lens, which is a great, tiny wide prime. Also, why would you buy a gf3 combo to get the 14mm when you can buy it on ebay for about $170 in the first place?

13. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great photos! The first two especially - they definitely look like they could be used for ads!

I've found the 20mm to be spectacular for long night exposures. Tack sharp and generates very nice starbursts.

14. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I just bought an EPL1 for $150 from Cameta. Every time doubts creep up about my purchase I see something awesome like this and I keep telling myself it's the person behind the camera. Great shots.

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    :bravo-009:
    Great shots...even though the Caliber, IMHO, is one of the homeliest vehicles on the planet. :tongue:

I agree with others that the first two could very well be mistaken for professionally made product shots.

16. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland

SHHHH!!! I need a reason to justify to my wife by getting something to shoot with while waiting for the E-M5. With the "Amazon" price of $320 for the 14 f/2.5, the $395 is a no brainer right? :tongue: :rolleyes: :thumbup:

17. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Was it a full moon that night? I'm wondering where the highlights on the car are coming from... (also in the first two shots the ground around the car is lit too)

18. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I figured it was parked under a streetlight, correct?

19. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I ran around the car hitting it with a led torch...

In image three a torch wasn't used, just the moonlight, that is why the car is darker, in image 4, a torch was used but just barely on the rear...

three and four were mean't to have the car darker....

• Like Like x 3
  20. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    no streetlight, if that were so, the stars wouldn't pop due to the 'street light' contamination....