<$200 150mm (or so) lens for my Lumix GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by craniac, Jul 23, 2016.

1. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    Hi,

I am using an adapted 200mm Olympus (I think OM mount) on my GX1 for fun. It cost like $40, and it is enjoyable to use. I have two problems (other than being a lazy photographer who can barely shoot in manual).

1. Even in manual mode, I can't figure out how to adjust the exposure. I can turn the aperture ring and do it that way, but can't control the shutter speed. I probably need to spend some time with the manual.

2. I was taking pictures of Olympic skiers jumping into a pool at Park City and a manual telephoto lens is not the way to go, I think. I forgot my 14-42 kit lens, which would have been better, so shot with the 14mm, which was not ideal.

So I'm looking for a decent lens I can use to go back and shoot those ski jumpers and also use on vacation at the Oregon cost, that I can afford. What do you think of this:

Panasonic H-FS45150K Lumix G Series Lens (Black)
    by the way, is there an older version of this lens I should avoid? I'm seeing versions for only $150 on Ebay.

I have the money and am ready to pull the trigger but wanted some expert advice. I'm pretty sure this is the lens that will complete my collection and turn me into the amazing photographer that I know I can become. And a good flash. Then I'm done. For now.
    Here is a photo with the Olympus 210mm lens:

provo_street_carnival.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 45-150 is great. I would highly recommend it. There is only one version of the lens, but they changed the finish and decals last year. So I unless you really care about "HD" logos or shiny vs matte paint, it doesn't matter which 45-150 you buy.

If you shop really hard, you might be able to get a 45-175 X for your budget. That's a bit of an upgrade, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    The thumb dial near the upper right corner of the back of the camera body switches between shutter and aperture in manual mode. Press inward to switch from one to the other.

With the older "legacy" lens aperture is controlled with the aperture ring on the lens and will not read out on the LCD, but the shutter speed is set with that "thumb dial". You may have to press inward to get it to change shutter speeds.

I no longer have a GX1 so cannot remember which is the default when you turn the camera on, aperture or shutter. The GX1 is a great little camera and really "shines" when you put the LVF 2 eyelevel finder on it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    You control the exposure only with the Exposure compensation wheel/buttons. The aperture wheel controls the aperture not the exposure, the same with the shutter speed.

If you go to manual mode, without Auto ISO, you can control the exposure using any of the three parameters but it's not the simplest way to do it (unless you are in a situation with constant light or you need to set both a specific aperture and shutter speed an a similar particular cases).

• Like Like x 1
  5. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    Thank you all for the great advice. The signal-noise ratio on this site is unbeatable. I was hoping to buy the 45-150 before leaving on a trip to the Oregon coast but ran out of time, so I'll use my legacy 210mm and then probably sell my old lens when I return to finance the 45-150mm.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    There is also the Pan 45-200 that you should be able to get for under $200. It's a little on the bigger side compared to the others, but I've enjoyed using several copies over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Another vote for the 45-200. It has the image stabilization switch on the outside. Some people claim it's "soft" from 150-200mm. I've never had that problem.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

IMO: There's no good reason to get a 45-200 with used/import 45-175's being the same price.

• Like Like x 1
  9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've owned 3 each of the 45-175 and 45-200, all gone now. I'll probably buy another at some point, or maybe one of the longer options.

The 45-175 is smaller, lighter, and doesn't extend while zooming. It's nice for video and reviews say it's sharper. It was also reported to have OIS issues with early firmware (or was that early camera firmware?). It has been, or will be, updated to support dual OIS with the G8 & GX85. Power zoom can be a plus or minus, I'm not personally a fan. And 175 isn't that much longer than my 14-140 so when I had them, I rarely used it.

The 45-200 is larger and heavier. Panasonic has said it won't update the firmware for Dual OIS. But 200 is notably more the my 14-140 and doesn't have power zoom which I prefer. It also has a physical OIS switch, so turning that on and off is easier.

And one interesting point about the 45-175 being reviewed as better and sharper. The 45-200 has more positive reviews on B&H, Adorama, and Amazon than the 45-175 does. I personally found them comparable and not really sure why I keep going back and forth. I think the last time was I had the 45-200, was planning on picking up the GX85 so I traded it for the 45-175. Then really remember I don't like the power zoom and that 175 wasn't enough so I traded it for a 100-300. I've since sold that on as well.

I know I have a condition.