20% off Olympus refurb (code FIREWORKS)

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Unfortunately both experiences soured me from buying again. Despite the claims of a "5-point inspection," it appears a company named Tech Data in Texas simply repackages Oly's returns that look cosmetically ok without testing them first.
Interesting. Where did you learn about Tech Data?

--Ken

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
The claim that no testing or refurbishment occurs warrants some proof.
I think it's evident from the experiences posted on numerous Oly Outlet threads from various posters. In my experience, I've ordered maybe a dozen items from the Outlet in the past few years. When the items are good they are like new (some items still had protective plastic on them). I've also received some items such as an absolutely filthy, dinged up E-M5, a 75/1.8 with mold growing inside of it, and the two lenses I described earlier. How do any of these pass the "rigorous inspection" that Oly claims on its site?

Oly seems to have switched to Tech Data for warehousing for fulfillment and returns some time ago. Since then the processing time for returns has gotten ridiculous. Oly acknowledges they received the defective 12-40 I sent them over three weeks ago and all the documents necessary to "expedite" processing of the return, but still hasn't refunded me. I used to take the gamble on these refurb sales due to the return policy, but it's not worth it anymore.

Snaimpally,

I had the same thought. How do you like your AIR? Do you still use it?
Played around with it a little bit - its very small and unobtrusive and I plan to use it for street photography. Setup is a bit clunky, but I expect Olympus will refine it over time. For a little over $200, its a cool little device.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The E-P5 body came in today. It looks pristine with 97 shutter activations. One interesting thing was that I was picking settings in the menus and I noticed there was no zero sec anti-shock. Down the menus I went and discovered I had firmware 1.2 and the current one is 1.7. Upgraded just fine but this camera has been sitting around somewhere for a few years. Still, for $200 . . .

db96

Mu-43 Regular
:dance3:My Pen F came today also. 65 shutter releases and not a mark that I can find. Now just waiting on the Panasonic 35-100 f/4-5.6 to complete my everyday carry kit. (With my 14-42EZ & 17mm). Happy so far!

tkbslc

Super Moderator
The E-P5 body came in today. It looks pristine with 97 shutter activations. One interesting thing was that I was picking settings in the menus and I noticed there was no zero sec anti-shock. Down the menus I went and discovered I had firmware 1.2 and the current one is 1.7. Upgraded just fine but this camera has been sitting around somewhere for a few years. Still, for $200 . . .
Got you beat - mine's on 1.0!

Not very impressed with the ridiculous firmware update process, either. Every other brand I've used just needs a file on an SD card.

Camera is extremely uncomfortable to hold and menus make no sense, but I'll give it a try. Initial impressions are not that great, to be honest.

gpburdell

Mu-43 Veteran
What are you coming from camera wise? Probably just me but I took to the Olympus menus fairly quickly. Maybe it's from a long history with Canon DSLRs or something, I don't know. FWIW, the Info button toggles the help/description popup on and off. That's helpful in know what does what.

Haven't had any issues with holding my EP5, but I've generally used it with primes and reserved the bigger glass for my EM5.2 It's probably not a good match for the 12-40 f/2.8 or similar heft lenses.

Worst case, return it. You have 30 days to try it out. :)

musicwack

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
James
My E-P5 looks pretty much brand new. Shutter count of 12, came with firmware 1.7. Pretty happy with these refurbished products I've been getting from Olympus!

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Got you beat - mine's on 1.0!

Not very impressed with the ridiculous firmware update process, either. Every other brand I've used just needs a file on an SD card.

Camera is extremely uncomfortable to hold and menus make no sense, but I'll give it a try. Initial impressions are not that great, to be honest.
One BIG benefit of how Oly does the firmware updates. Connect the camera, get into the program and it just goes and finds the update. You can walk through all your lenses without much trouble checking and applying needed firmware updates, both Oly and Pan.

The menus are very different than your GX7. But once you get the SCP turned on for all modes, disable the screens you don't want to see it's better. One thing about Oly vs Pan menus, Pan will disable more things based on the other setting, Oly seems to do that less. Sometimes trying to figure out what you need to change in order to access a feature on a Pan body and be frustrating.

You don't like the grip and controls on the E-P5? I agree the grip itself is better on the GX7, but I found my fingers fell more comfortably on the control of the E-P5.

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
Funny, I always liked the standard method of downloading the firmware and copying it to the card. Probably because I always seem to lose that darn Olympus USB cable when I need it!! :p

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom