1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

20% off Olympus refurb (code FIREWORKS)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by ijm5012, Jul 19, 2016.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Just got the email. They have a lot of good stuff. Pen-F (black and silver), E-M5 II (all colors, even titanium), all of the PRO lenses minus the 300mm.

Fortunately I don't need anything, but they have a lot of good stuff available.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Just sold a few things and was debating between the 17 and 25.

Now I have both coming.:dance3::dance4::dance2::yahoo:

Figure I can sell one or the other later if I feel like it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I just got a silver Pen F!

• Like Like x 2
  4. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm in the middle of a second protracted return experience with Olympus Outlet this year. Two lenses (25/1.8 and 12-40 PRO) I received were awful - the 25 was severely decentered and the 12-40 was mushy throughout the zoom range, as if it had been dropped and the alignment skewed. It's been almost a month since I returned the 12-40 (at my expense) and no refund yet, despite following all of their procedures for an expedited return - they say normally it takes 25 business days to credit a return once it's received, which is nuts. I was told last week I'd see a credit no later than today, but still no dice.

Unfortunately both experiences soured me from buying again. Despite the claims of a "5-point inspection," it appears a company named Tech Data in Texas simply repackages Oly's returns that look cosmetically ok without testing them first.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    The time I returned a couple things wasn't a problem. I think it did take a couple weeks for the refund, but it wasn't an issue to me although I know it can be for others.

Just ordered a silver Pen F with the goal of it replacing my EP5. Maybe, we'll see how well I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Really nice deal on the E-PM2 body.

• Like Like x 2
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I was VERY tempted. But I would really just be buying it to try it and sell it on. With the price of the 17 and 25 I might keep both.

I've purchased and returned things from them in past and yes the return process takes longer than it really should.

8. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I was tempted by the Pen-F, but ultimately decided to pass. I really don't need another camera. I already own two E-M1's and a GH4, and really want to wait for Photokina to see the specs of the E-M1 II and GH5. Plus, after tax (yes, I have to pay tax in PA), it brought the price to $815.

I'll wait until Photokina, and decide what I want to do. Ideally I'd like to see an E-M1 II with the Pen-F sensor, Pen-F colors (film simulation, B&W, etc.), improved PDAF for using 4/3 glass, and 4K video. If Olympus can deliver that, I'll sell my two E-M1's and GH4 and pre-order two E-M1 II's.

But I'm getting off track. There were some good deals, but it's interesting the Olympus raised the prices on the E-M5 II and Pen-F only a couple days ago. Some people were speculating that a 20% sale was around the corner. I guess they were right...

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    These are excellent deals and the selection is pretty good this time around. But sales tax in my state does take a big chunk out of the savings.

10. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Indeed. FYI, I had a refurb EPM2 converted to infrared and have really enjoyed it. $148 + tax under this sale makes it a great deal if interested in IR. You get an IR dedicated body that uses all your existing lenses and fits into a corner of your camera bag. What's not to like? (wish it used BLN batteries though)

FYI, with the 14-42EZ lens the EPM2 fits into the Lowepro Dashpoint 20 camera pouch. Versatile little pouch, easily attaching to hipbelts or shoulder straps of other bags.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  11. musicwack

musicwack Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2015
    South Jersey
    James
    Purchased the E-P5 even though I own an E-M1 & E-M5. I've been itching to try out one and almost jumped the gun multiple times in the past when it looked like the price for one was getting pretty decent, but for $192 it seems like a no brainer!

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    That EP5 + VF-4 + 17mm keeps taunting me, every time I click on it I get a 404 error.

13. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    It went out of stock some days ago. Yet who knows, save the link to your bookmarks and keep trying.

Pen F in silver is 404'ing now as is the EP5 in silver, although white seems available.

Anyone else notice that the $3500 refurb EM5 mark II PRO kit apparently disappeared before the sale? :)

14. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @gpburdell@gpburdell yeah, I also heard that there were some 300mm PRO lenses up on the refurb site, but didn't see them listed today for the sale. Also, the price of the E-M5 II and Pen-F jumped up about $50 a couple days ago.

While some of the stuff listed is a good deal (7-14 PRO for $832 after discount but before tax), other stuff is marginal. Also, they do seem to game the pricing of some items, as well as removing certain items just before a sale goes live, which is somewhat discouraging.

Also, the quality of some of the refurb stuff can be hit or miss. I've hear reports of people getting cameras with dirty sensors. I've heard of people getting lenses that were duds. I received an E-M1 that had a faulty rear-dial. Yes, it was repaired under warranty, but it doesnt' instill much confidence in their refurbishment process or the durability of their equipment.

15. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Knock wood, so far everything I'd bought from the refurb store has been fine. Yet I've read similar reports and it certainly seems the operation is not on par with Apple's refurbs which I also buy.

As to pricing; yes the buyer has to pay attention.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I just tried the Pen F I got as far as applying the code to reduce it to $767.

17. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Yep, it seems to have come back. Once it'd started 404ing I figured it was down for the count.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Even if you don't get charged sales tax, all states still have tax code that requires you to pay it with your income tax anyway. Might as well make it easy and pay it up front instead of risking an audit and fines. The states are cracking down more now given that so much potential revenue is lost due to www sales.

Only way to legally avoid it in most states is buying used.

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I paid about $36 in taxes. I'm sure Virginia will spend it wisely. :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Good opportunity to get an Olympus AIR to experiment with. I picked up one during the last 20% off. <sigh> I just ordered a 14-150mm II.

• Like Like x 1