20 inch print on Epson Satin is not giving the desired result

Discussion in 'Printing' started by tomO2013, May 8, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013

So I have attempted to print this image on Epson Satin paper...
    Ireland.... Misty Beach
    by tom.ohle, on Flickr

It's a very naturally white (non bleach) paper with a bit of a sheen. I had hoped that it would show gentle gradations in the sky, background and beach. While dark sillhouettes have printed fine and nice and contrasty, I have found that the paper has not responded well to the highlights loosing a LOT of tonality in the final output.
    Can anybody recommend a good paper that would allow me achieve the result that I am looking for. I'm open to suggestions for improving the PP in post more to better achieve the result in print.
    So for example if you think that I shuld try somerset velvet with increased saturation/contrast in the sky region to get the same 'on screen' effect on paper , then please suggest away :)

Thanks for your time,

2. Wandering Aengus

Wandering Aengus Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    Are those photo black or matte black papers?

What printer are you using and what program are you printing from? Is the printer managing color or are you using an icc profile? Can you soft proof in the program? If so, you can download icc profiles for a lot of papers and soft proof using the profile to see what it will look like on a particular paper. Two of my favorite papers are Canson Baryta Photographique and Harmon by Hannemhule Gloss Baryta. Ilford Gold Fibre Silk is supposed to very close to the Canson, but I have not personally used it.

Also, are the whites in the photo whiter than the paper white? Can you see these gentle gradations on your monitor? How bright is your monitor? If it is too dark or to bright, your print can come out darker or lighter than what you are seeing on your monitor. In other words, your monitor brightness needs to match your print output so you know how to set exposure, brightness, and shadows during pp. This can be different from processing a photo for display on the web or on a bright, high contrast monitor.

If you know all of this, my apologies. Can't make the call from the question you asked.

By the way, you have some great photos on your flickr stream. Where did take those photos of the wolves?
    Last edited: May 8, 2015