20/1.7 or 14/2.5, too close to call?...

gusmur

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,
Now that the 14/2.5 is here, what would be your first choice?
The 20/1.7 has such a stellar reputation, I'm thinking that will be the next lens I add to my G1. What about you?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Best,
Angus

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
The 14 is by no means a slouch. It performs great.
I made many fine images with it.
It is not close to the FOV of the 20.
You need both.
Don

mick / Lumix

I did try the 14mm but will not buy it. Despite Panasonic body software removing usual lens faults there was still a problem with purple fringing from this lens. Used at f2.5 the photos show soft edges.

MichaelShea

Mu-43 Regular
A consideration with the G1 is that the standard kit lens is very good indeed and produces excellent results at 14mm especially. I can't see that there's much value in having two additional prime lenses for focal lengths that are already covered. The 20mm lens is a visible improvement in terms of sharpness and low light capabilities, which together with its compactness are sound reasons to buy. I've not used the 14mm lens, but have yet to read a single report or test that places it in the same class. I would have thought the choice, if there is to be one, is pretty straightforward.

gusmur

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks to you all...

...for your thoughts.
Personally, I tend to agree with Michael. The 20 seems to be the most useful addition to the already excellent G1 kit lens.
Gotta love those primes!
Best regards,
Angus

bpalme

Mu-43 Rookie
20mm is better all around lens. If you mainly shoot at 14 though it might be worth it.

Howi

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Howard
A suggestion would be, if you do not have the kit zoom, then the 14mm and 20mm would complement each other. the advantage over having the kit zoom, would be that you have 2 very compact pancake lenses, that would cover most street/landscape needs.
Plus, you get to zoom with your feet, exercise is always good :smile:
From what I have read, the 14 is reportedly, not as sharp as the 20 wide open (shame if that's the case) as that sort of FL was going to be my next purchase (I have the 20mm only in m4/3).
It is normally the case that a prime is usually sharper/better IQ than a similar priced zoom as there are less compromises in build quality.

Anyone care to comment, real world use is always preferable to lab tests.....:biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom