1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

20/1.7 availability

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by krugorg, Feb 17, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I was looking online for a 20/1.7 for a buddy and noticed that it is out of stock at a lot of places and some jokers are asking for $499-799 on Amazon (3rd party). We did find one at Unique for straight list ($399), but I was wondering what was going on?

Just a temporary shortage, or an update on the way? :biggrin:

2. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Interesting. Maybe a new influx of MFT adopters after a price drop on cameras due to the OM-D announcement.

The 20mm still has one of the best size/IQ/dollar ratio. Everything else is a tough pill to swallow until you're familiar with the system.

I like your theory better though. "Update on the way" :smile:

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Sometimes I think Panasonic randomly forgets that there's a whole two more continents on this side. Nobody remembers to actually send lens shipments as a result.

4. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Seems to be a UK shortage too - amazon uk out of stock and cheapest third party seller is over £300 (amazon price was £265).

Kicking myself for not getting it from Jacobs last week when it was on offer at £250 - added it to basket but had to transfer some money from savings account first to pay for it so went back the next day and it had gone back up to £280. Grr.

Would be great if there is a mkii version coming out with faster AF (and silent for video like the 14mm) but I would guess lack of supply is just due to higher demand?

5. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

I feel your pain, no one close to me had it, so i ordered through ebay, i know theres a risk but i figured with some research and patience i found a new one from a decent seller here in the states.

But yeah, "HELLO, OVER HERE, WE NEED LENSES!!!!!"

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    it sounds like a good time to sell mine! muahahaha! ill be RIIIICH!

pl 25 here i come! hehehehe

7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Hehehe - oh look! Americans have to pay the same for camera gear as Australians :biggrin:

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    It's never been generally "readily available" whereas to compare, the Olympus 45mm can easily be found :wink:

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    this is TOTALLY unjustified... i mean.. we dont even have kangaroos! ;)

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Start checking pouches...maybe that's where they are hiding them!

12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    GASP!
    *shakes fist in righteous fury* GET THE ROOS!!!!
    *grabs pitchforks and torches*

and if any of them has a 24mm summilux, its mine, he stole it from me!

i need to check out the used market for these, see what i could get, i need something to hold me over till i can see real world reviews of the em5... and i think a shiny new pl25/1.4 would fill that lonely space in my soul... lol

to the webs!

---

looks like ~$225 for ebay, and ~$340(i think it was) at keh

so i could get $200 easy, but then im still so far from the 25/1.4!
    GASP!

13. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah, the 25 will make you start digging through your pouch trying to find the funds. If you get it, you'll forget about the 20. I wouldn't pay more than 250 for it after having the 25!!!

14. flaxseedoil1000

flaxseedoil1000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    But we do have Dingos

Carolina_Dog_1.

Well I do anyway :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Dingos steal babies not 20's, so I think your safe.

• Like Like x 1
  16. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

I agree that u might see a slight improvement but my main reason for the 20mm was the pancake size. I carry it in my pocket with ease all the time.

17. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    So pricing on the 20mm f1.7 is still sky high, at least is on amazon uk...Those of you who have been following these sorts of things longer than I - when do you think the price will come back down to where it was a couple months ago? Weeks? Months? Years? Never? I waaaaant that lens but I don't want to pay over £300 for it then find it's gone back down to £265 the next week!

18. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Denmark
    You can get it for £279 at Fotosense.co.uk. (On backorder but should be in stock soon). I have followed the prices for quite some time and I don’t think it will be much lower in near future.

P. Nielsen

19. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
    SRS microsystems has them for £279. I've bought from them before (plus my em-5 pre-order is with them)
    They have a sterling reputation for customer service in Pentax circles, having handed out new k-5's to all those affected with the sensor staining issue, even before Pentax had approved it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 1