2 Years in China with a 4MP camera

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by RnR, Mar 7, 2013.

1. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    China: Portrait of a People - In Focus - The Atlantic
    • Like Like x 20
  2. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Thanks for the link, I recently listened to a podcast interview with him so I'm glad to see the images. Very impressive!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks for the link. Great pics !

Wish I could do as well with 4 times the megapixels :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How dare he attempt to make wonderful photography out of anything less than 10mpx camera! My Eyes!!!! my eyes!!

Very nice. Just go to show that the camera is just part of the equation.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Ah, skill triumphs again.
  6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Thanks for sharing the link. These are some truly awesome images! I'll save this link so that the next time someone asks for more megapixels on their cameras, I will show it to them... :biggrin:
  7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Thanks for posting the link. The photos are inspiring.
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It also helps to have something worth shooting. Our pics of flowers, dogs and cats really have a tough time by comparison.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Great pictures.
  10. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    No, it's just because he had that 4mp camera. Oh wait! I have still somewhere my good old 3mp Olympus Camedia. I'll post some quick cat shots so you will see what I'm talking about. :tongue:
  11. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    Thanks for sharing. I was interested to see what camera he used .. and ... voila .. it is an Olympus Camedia C4000 ... :) ... Tom Carter's candid camera
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks a billion times mate . I can tell u how happy and satisfied I was when I had only Sony 5MP P100 P&S. Its very good to know about technical aspect of any thing but excess of everything is bad . I would happily spend 3000 dollars on travelling and shooting with a 200-500 camera rather than buying a FF , sitting at home on various forums and bullying people that my Nikon D800 has 36 MP and files clean upto ISO 6400 blah blah and unfortunately this is what happens these days and there are only a few Tom Carters in the world of digital photography and rest of them are Tom Techocarters :wink: .The more we have , more we complain .
    ANyway happy shooting with you FF, 2/3Frame , 1/2 Frame , 1/4 Frame or 1/10 the Frame cameras ahahaahah:drinks::drinks::drinks:
    • Like Like x 4
  13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Obviously, there will be some situations where the limitations of 4 megapixels would be striking and side by side comparisons of 100% crops would show the advantages of more pixels on resolution and clarity - but these photos demonstrate pretty clearly that you do not absolutely NEED cameras with tons of megapixels to take beautiful photos. Would I want to go back to 4MP? No. But I also don't see the need to run out and buy a 36MP FF camera, either. Nice link. :thumbup:
  14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Lovely. Some of my favorite pictures are still from my very first digital camera, a 4 megapixel Minolta. Sure, the color depth, sharpness and resolution isn't great, but that doesn't make the pictures any less good. I also spent years shooting a 6 megapixel DSLR.

I mean, I'd rather have 20+, because I love big prints, but content trumps technology, every time.
  15. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    It really does come down to what you want to do with the pictures. For the web or 4x6 prints, 4 megapixels is plenty.
  16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Awesome shots, thanks for sharing.
  17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    These are good photos. But I wouldn't want to do a long trip like that without a better camera.
  18. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would love to spend two years travelling around North Africa. And I would be perfectly happy with my PM2.

For all the gear talk on this forum, it seems we don't have any gear snobs :thumbup:
  19. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    thoroughly enjoyed those images, great post, always like to read about photographers pushing the limits lesser capable cameras, its really makes you look at yourself as a photographer rather than rely on the kit. Its all too easy in this day and age too "polish a turd" and create a very respectable image using Post Processing, which really takes away skills from being a good photographer.

Still though, the M43 format would be my ultimate weapon of choice for traveling. :D.
  20. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Definitely a very good photographer that bloke. When there are enough light, the pictures are simply amazing.
    These kinds of guys are simply going to embarass alot of people using better cameras.