1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

2 questions...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RichDesmond, Dec 31, 2011.

1. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    ...from a guy relatively new to m4/3.

1) Is there a short explanation somewhere of what the differences are between all the Oly bodies? The Panasonic stuff I think I figured out, but the Oly nomenclature has me confused as hell. What do the "M" and "L" variants mean, and how have things changed from 1 to 2 to 3 series?? Do all the bodies have IBIS? Searching here and on Google hasn't helped. :)

2) Do you find that the IBIS helps noticeably with adapted telephoto lenses? I bought a GF1, which I like a lot, but then got adapters and a bunch of alt glass. Handholding a 135mm in dimmer light is a little tough without stabilization, so I'm wondering if an Oly body would make sense for me.

Thanks.

2. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Hi Rich, and welcome to the forum.

Whatsinthebagg pointed you to a good general source for learning the differences between Olympus models. As far as the "1," "2" and "3" goes, that number differentiates the older ("1" series) from the newest ("3" series). There's lots of other discussion about which series delivers the best images, so I won't rehash any of that here.

As for question #2, I've found that IBIS helps only at slow shutter speeds, but it does work with all lenses whether native or adapted. In my experience it's only slightly helpful with telephoto lenses of any variety. In fact, I'm not sure it's helped me with manual focus telephotos at all because I have a hard time holding them steady enough to focus.

What IS helpful when using telephoto lenses is camera / lens support, i.e. a monopod or tripod.

I can hand-hold my Olympus 50-200 (4/3 lens) even at the long end with great results on a 4/3 body, but not on my E-PL2. With an m4/3 body I need more support for this lens than the camera's grip provides. It's just too heavy (the lens). OTOH I cannot hand-hold my Oly 70-300 (4/3 lens) on anything, even though it's relatively light; it always needs support for acceptable results at the long end.

I also find that I cannot hand-hold my adapted Minolta 135mm f/2.8 on the E-PL2, either. I need the monopod or tripod in order to hold it still enough to focus it. But rather than struggle with MF on a lens that I can't hold steady enough to focus clearly, I use the 70-300 to cover that FL because it has AF that works well with m4/3.

Of course this is just my experience and YMMV. But when all is said and done, I'd rather have the in-body IS than not. It's allowed me to hand-hold a 58mm MC Rokkor f/1.4 as slow as 3/4 second with stellar sharpness. Haven't needed to shoot it slower than that, but I'd bet it would still deliver up to about 1.5 seconds.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Thanks guys, that helps a lot.