1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

2 questions: one about touchscreen AF, and the other about night timelapse NR

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Generationfourth, Sep 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    I’ve been messing with my newly acquired GM5. (woo hoo!!)

1. touchscreen AF. When I first got the camera I swear I was able to focus the camera quickly by tapping the touchscreen in different locations with the one area AF mode. Now when I tap the screen the focus box goes into adjustment mode (turns yellow with arrows) and I have to set/reset it to exit out, then it’ll focus, then I can take the picture. Has it always worked like that? Seems like I messed up a setting. I’d rather not use 23-point AF.

edit: also, when using AF/AE lock (programmed as F1 button), how do I "hard lock" it like the GF1. It seems to unlock with the next shot at a half press of the shutter.

2. time lapse. I want to shoot multiple (20-60) long exposures in a row using the time lapse option. I think the biggest obstacle is the long exposure NR buffer after each shot. Would turning off the long exposure NR, in favor of Lightroom’s NR, be a smart move? I’m not sure which is better (or if this is the right forum for this question).

Thanks! excited to use the camera this weekend.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    As far as the time-lapse NR goes, it really depends on your output objective. If you're doing star-trails, then you'll want to turn off NR and take a "dark frame" with the lens cap on and use special software afterwards to do dark-frame subtraction. The quality is much better with the in-camera noise reduction than doing it afterwards in Lightroom or something else, but then you'd have gaps. If you're doing star-stacking, definitely use the in-camera NR.

The other thing is that I find the Panasonic time lapse settings are a bit weird. It seems like the total length of the time lapse is set by the "number of frames" multiplied by the "frame interval" regardless of how long the exposure you're using. I noticed that on my GX7 when I set it up to take 60 frames @ 30 seconds long each with a 1 second gap, and noticed that it only took...2 frames. So instead, if you wanted that, you would need to set the frame interval at 1 second, and the number of frames at 1800. Goofy, but apparently true from my testing. It confused me a lot.

3. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    Can you explain the reasoning for using in body NR for star stacking? I can use it, I was trying to make the math simpler and wasn't too sure how the extra 20 or so seconds between each shot would affect the outcome.

And yes the time lapse settings are not very intuitive. I spent about an hour last night messing with it and kept ending up with only 1-2 frames lol. Your explanation helps a lot.

4. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    Ok I figured out the AF. I had AFF instead of the initial AFS.