1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

2-pack Wasabi BLN-1 $21.99, free shipping

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by JCWOlson, Mar 22, 2014.

1. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    Note: This isn't a sale price, this is more like a heads up that they're going to be back in stock. They've been out for months, and they're now up for pre-order.

http://www.bluenook.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-Olympus/dp/B0084FM5JC

Supposedly the best 3rd party battery for the newer Olympus m43 cameras at a fifth of the price of OEM! Get em while you can!
    Free shipping with code BN30FREE
    Ships: April 12th 2014

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  2. Biggstr

Biggstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Ashburn, VA
    Also available on Amazon for slightly more money. I have a kit arriving on Tuesday for a vacation latter in the week. I agree that these are the best replacement batteries available for MFT, and the charger (folding prongs without a cord) is so superior to the OEM that I don't bother to take the latter out of the box.

3. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    The ones on Amazon say they're actually from Blue Nook, so the price hike is interesting

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. katiedaddy

katiedaddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    MD, USA
    at least it's available for immediate shipping from amazon for extra $2.

5. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Quick question about the Wasabis (and any other 3rd party batteries for that matter). Before my GX7, all of my digital cameras have been P&S Canons. I always bought extra batteries and charged them on the Canon charger that came with the camera. I've seen some people say that the OEM batteries shouldn't be charged on the 3rd party chargers, and the 3rd party batteries shouldn't be charged on the OEM charger. Why is that?

6. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Is the wasabi significantly better then the BLN-1 battery? I have the BLN-1 and am disappointed in how long it lasts. The OEM seems to last 2 or 3 times as long. I only got about 250 pictures from it without a flash, and using a manual focus lens for most pictures. It doesn't retain it's charge for very long unused too.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not sure what you're asking. The OEM ones are BLN-1s. That's the model number Olympus uses for them.

I've had pretty good results with the Wasabis. They last roughly as long as the OEMs did. I've also had terrible results with other clone batteries, though over a long period of time.

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Even in the past, when batteries didn't have microcontroller chips inside, every battery had specific voltage, capacity and required certain charging mode. So, any battery better be charged in charger which was designed specifically for it (or at least having it in mind).

Nowadays, when many batteries are chipped, charger is using information from battery for whenever it should charge this battery and charging mode. This often make generic batteries impossible to be charged in OEM chargers, and generic chargers are still not a best choice for OEM batteries.

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I guess you're talking about generic BLN-1 replacement battery not holding charge well and not lasting as long as OEM Olmpus BLN-1.
    Well, this is expected outcome. You get what you paid for.

There are also batteries marked as OEM Olympus, but I suspect that they are counterfeit - main difference is recycle sign in bottom rign.

10. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    The battery brand is Up Start. I tried to get OEM but the dealer said this was just as good. Ah well. It might last long enough to recharge the oem

11. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Thanks for the explanation, budeny.

12. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    Well, the short answer is: Panasonic wants to FORCE users to buy Panasonic Batteries.

Long answer:
    With the advent of Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries, each "cell" within a battery pack needs to charged independently and monitored using a smart charging chip. This is because rechargeable lithium batteries can catch fire (spectacularly) if way over charged, charged too quickly, or if the contacts are shorted. The smart chip prevents these things from burning your battery up. Also overcharging a rechargeable lithium cell can cause much more damage to the longevity of the cell than say Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) cells that were used in previous generation battery packs. A side advantage of these charge control chips was that they could also give a pretty accurate status on the remaining capacity of the cells. So as a result, the cell phone or digital camera using a rechargeable lithium battery could just "ask" the chip on the battery how much capacity was left.

So pretty much with most cell phone and digital camera lithium battery packs, a dumb charger that supplied approx 5V is all that's needed. The smart charging chip in the battery pack will decide at what current and how long to charge each cell.

Then there were some quality control issues with third party battery packs which resulted in spontaneous combustion of many cell phones due to short circuits inside the cells (not something that the smart chip could fix.). So some manufacturers, in the name of customer satisfaction and safety, decided to add special handshakes and encryption to the "official" battery packs, so one could only use their "official" batteries in their devices and could only be charged by their chargers. Panasonic was one of these manufacturers that did this a few years ago for their chargers and battery capacity messages. http://www.dpreview.com/news/2009/6/17/panaservicenotice
    I don't think Olympus has done this yet, so it doesn't apply to the batteries mentioned in this thread.

So that's why on listings for third party replacement batteries for modern Panasonic cameras like your GX7 you'll see terms like "decoded" to signify that the battery will talk to the camera well enough to show the correct capacity remaining and charge in the stock Panasonic charger.

That's also why some third party batteries are much cheaper than others for Panasonic cameras. The non-decoded batteries need a 3rd party charger and won't accurately display the remaining capacity on the camera, where the decoded ones will be more compatible.

13. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    There are a few 'name brand' 3rd party batteries that are pretty good, at least the rating on the label is roughly close to what you can really expect. Wasabi is one of those, Maximal Power seems to be pretty good too.

Then there are the really cheap generic ones on EBay, some with labels promising even higher rating than original OEM. Those are a crapshoot, sometimes they're okay (not as good as OEM but still good value), sometimes they're a waste of money.