1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

2 OMD-EM1 Kit Options...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by CVigilV, Oct 18, 2013.

1. CVigilV

CVigilV Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Hi, I was seeing some stuff in the forums, specifically lenses and bodies, and made a list of my 2 options of a kit for the Oly EM-1. The thing is that I need an opinion on what lenses to pick, since I like doing sport, landscapes, macro, some portraits from time to time and street photography. A key element in the list is having a lens at least f/2.8 since I like to isolate my subjects from the background.

My budget is also tight, is only $2000 US dollars, since the camera cost $1400, I only have $600 for lenses and accessories.

Here's the list:

uqarype5.

Any other options in the lenses that fit my needs?

Thanks in advance,
    Carlos

Attached Files:

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    If your budget is $2000 then you would be *MUCH* better off buying a used EM-5 for $600 - $700 and have plenty left for glass.
    Bodies come down in price very quickly compared to lenses. Just compare the EM-5 with lets say a Panasonic 25 1.4 and you'll see...
    Rudy
    Also, good lenses hold their value much better than cheaper ones

• Like Like x 1
  3. FRAN

FRAN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    México DF, MÉXICO
    Francisco
    PANA 14mm f2.5 + PANALEICA 25mm f1.4 is a great combo......

4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I agree with Rudy. The EM5 takes excellent pictures, is a half step behind the EM1 in speed and usability, and will loose half it's cost in 3 years. Solid lenses will last many generations of bodies and contribute more to your images then the EM1 over the EM5.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would agree with Rudy. Unless you will be buying a lot of glass in the future, your set-up seems heavy on the hat and light on cattle. Are these the lenses that you want in the future? If so, then buy them, if not, consider buying less glass, but choosing the lenses that you really want.

Good luck,

--Ken

6. CVigilV

CVigilV Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    I can agree in part with you, the list is of my priorities for now, being the main one the EM-1, since I want to have a body that will stay with me a lot of time! Thinking in at least 4-5 years, since I had my Nikon V1 for that time.

Also since I'm coming from the "failure" of the Nikon 1 series (It's good, but it lacks of good glass), my decision for :43: wasn't instant until I knew that the glass was good enough to compete against APS-C, so I decided :43: because of the size, the good image quality it offered and THE GLASS it offers.

So the glass is going to be a near future investment starting in the Pany 25mm then the Pany 35-200mm or the upcoming Oly 40-150mm, if it's good enough as the Pany version.

Any suggestions to my comply?

7. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Unlike some others, I find the E-M1 much better than the E-M5 simply in usability and controls. I had an E-M5 and sold it due to things like no grip (paying $300 for a two part grip to me was not a good solution), tiny squishy buttons, and irritating things things like a convoluted procedure to get small AF points and having to do it over and over again. The E-M1 is much much ergonomic to me, feels more solid, has way way better buttons, a huge EVF (my favorite) and really fixes all the things that were reasons I sold the E-M1.

If you can't go $2200 for the E-M1 plus 12-40 f2.8, then I would go with the Panasonic 25 f1.4 and Olympus 40-150 (or Panasonic 45-150) to start.

8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    extra battery?

Did you think about finding a used 14-54mm mk1...I know it's bigger and is not as fast as some of the other lenses, but it's weather sealed with the mmf3, and is tack sharp. I'm sure you can find one laying around for 225-250, then save your money up a bit until you can get the 25mm.

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    If you don't need super long reach with lots of light gathering, find a used E-M5.

This will give you lots of lens budget for $2000.

The 14-54 is a good option as well. It is close to 2.8 for most of the range.

10. CVigilV

CVigilV Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013

I agree with you, thats why I dont want to buy a used or refurbished EM-5.

Also if I have only $600 for lenses, where can I find the combination you mentioned, the Pany 25mm and the Oly 40-150?

Thanks for the replies,
    Carlos

Sent from my RM-825_eu_poland_261 using Tapatalk

11. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    You really should consider saving more and getting an E-M1 with the 12-40mm, that will be a general purpose lens that should suffice unless you need more telephoto. The E-M1 kit should cost you 2200 in the end and you can use the rebates to get the fl300r or mmf3 adapter as well. The E-M1 is a great body and I don't think you will need to update it any time soon. The fl300r is an ok flash (the fl-600r is much better) and if you plan on getting more into the olympus rc flash system I would consider buying the mmf3 adapter as the fl300r doesn't sell for much and especially won't for the next few months.

12. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    $600 for both lenses would be tight unless used. However you should be able to do it for $700 once Olympus runs one of their instant rebates again on the 40-150 (one just ended on Saturday).

13. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    You are not going to get any arguments from me on this.

The PL25 will blow most of the lens budget as is. It is a great lens no question, but I am not sure it is the best first choice.

One option is to buy the E-M1 with the MMF-3 and get a 4/3 40-150, these perform well even with CDAF with a firmware update.

I would try for a 14-54 and a 40-150 4/3.

You could buy something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-E-620-w-14-45mm-40-150-mm-Low-actuations-/271300114800?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item3f2abf3970

and sell the body for $100. With that you might be able to squeeze in the PL25 as well.

14. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Your stated desire to cover sports, landscapes, macro and everything in between for $700 with f2.8 or better ain't gonna happen. Given that you are going to have to compromise, I would go for the 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 (need to get one used to hit your cost target). THey are 2 versatile prime focal lengths and are lenses with very nice rendering that you will likely want to keep even if you get more glass.

I definitely agree that wanting to spend money on a body for longevity is not the recommended approach. Individual's frustrations and opinions aside, a used E-M5 would get you more/better glass.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I can certainly understand the desire to buy an E-M1, as the ergonomics are great if you like that style of camera body. And as much as I would really like one as well, the problem I have is two fold. First, your IQ gain over all of the other Olympus 16MP bodies is very marginal, so you are really paying for the ergonomics/build/design and not much else. Second, I have to assume that we are due for a major sensor upgrade somewhat soon, and my guess is that it will probably show up in the next DSLR-style body that is released. Assuming that were the case, and I had a limited budget, I guess that I would rather invest in some good glass, and buy a refurbished or used E-PM2 or E-PL5 to bide my time for body with a sesnor that was a generation ahead of all the other Olympus bodies (at least for the time being). $1,000 is a bit beyond my budget for extremely little gain in IQ (assuming that a used/refurbished body can be had for $400). Then again, if an E-M1 makes you happy and you will not get GAS when the next body is released, then maybe it makes sense.

Good luck,

--Ken

16. CVigilV

CVigilV Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    I'm coming from Nikon 1 series, so the IQ gain is mayor.

Now the decision in the lenses is my problem, do you find good enough to hang for a while with the Incredible Sigma, as I have heard thanks to its IQ and value, to then jump to THE 25mm PanaLeica and the 35-100mm Pana lens?

17. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Yes, the IQ gain is major for your situation. So my question is how would you feel if Olympus releases a similar body with a vastly improved sensor in the next year? If this does not bother you, then buy the E-M1. Regarding lenses, i do not believe the Sigma lenses were available when I bout my 25, so I cannot advise on experience. Besides my kit lenses, the first lenses that I purchased were the Olympus 45 and the Pana-Leica 25.

--Ken

18. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    Lol I love that most of these posts are ignoring the question the op has. Yes you may think the em5 is better for his budget but that isnt eh question. To answer your question I would say that if you have $600 left to spend your best bet is one of the following:

25mm f/1.4 ($450 used)
    40-150mm ($150 used)

or

20mm f/1.8 ($300 used)
    45mm f/1.8 ($300 used)

or

14mm f/2.5 ($225 used)
    45mm f/1.8 ($300 used)

I think based on your stated goals any of these three options are going to give you most of what you want. If you shoot wider Id probably go with the 20/45 combination. If you shoot longer then the 25/40-150 combo isnt bad either. If I only had the funds to get one of the above I would probably get the first option but that isnt wide enough for my preference so I would be rushing to get at the very least the 14mm or the 12mm if funds permitted. Personally i dont think the sigmas are all that special and I bet they would be a waste for you b/c you are going to want to replace them very quickly.