1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

2 lens solution for the GM series?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sabesh, Mar 13, 2015.

1. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Which would be your 2 lenses for the GM1 or GM5? (For general purpose / walkaround shooting).

I'm thinking of picking up the 15/1.7 and the new 42.5/1.7 (in addition to the kit zoom supplied with the GM5).

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Recently dropped the GM5 with 12-32 in one coat pocket and the 35-100 f4 in the other. Enjoyable, especially on an outing where photography is not the goal and you have to squeeze in a shot where you can. If you prefer primes (and I do if taking photos is the primary goal), I currently have the O25 and the S60. That's not a bad duo, but I would like something wider, so my credit card keeps looking longingly at the 15mm :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    That would be a good combo if you happy to with just primes. I'm sure the aperture ring on the 15 1.7 comes in handy for these smaller cameras. And the coming 42.5/1.7 has IS, which the oly 45mm doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I'm new to the GM5 but I'm finding the 15/f1.7, 25/f1.4 and the 45/f1.8 fit for purpose, the purpose being mainly street work. Makes a fairly light-weight, discreet looking bag of tricks to carry on the go. If I was to leave one at home, probably the 25mm. The aperture ring on the 15 is a star attraction to me, if only all lenses had this too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    For me I'd want something longer, but that's a nice combination. I agree that all lenses should come with aperture rings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I actually don't like the aperture ring on my 15mm. It is too easy to bump it out of A ( or mount at the wrong aperture) and then it overrides the in-camera settings. You end up getting shots you didn't expect. I'd much rather control it from the camera body so it is consistent.

For example, I'm working with the 25mm f1.8 at f2 in Aperture priority. I had to set aperture to 2.0 in the camera. Then I swap to the 15mm f1.7 and ring gets bumped to f11 while mounting. Lens overrides in camera setting. Next 10 shots are blurry because shutter speed is way too low and I didn't notice in time.

If all lenses had rings, you'd have to check the aperture of every lens prior to mounting, which is just one more thing to forget. It's only nice when working with a single lens for long periods of time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    1. Daylight walk around zoom - 12-32mm
    2. Low light prime - 15/1.7 or 20/1.7
    3. Tele/Portrait - Sigma 60mm/2.8

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I guess after 30 odd yrs using lenses with aperture rings it's something I'm used to having and the check is just second nature. I tried one G series Nikkor and hated the lack of aperture ring, but since largely moving to M4/3 I'm starting to get used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    My two primes for the GM5 is the PL15 and the Oly 45mm and the 12-32 and 45-150 are my zooms. Although the 45-150 will look a lot bigger than the 35-100 f4, it is still a small and lightweight lens for what it is and easily fit in a jacket pocket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    The 40-150 is definitely worth getting. I ought to use mine more - the image quality for such a cheap zoom always surprises me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    I absolutely love the PL15. I don't have any of the newer zooms, but would feel comfortable carrying the P14-45 for daylight situations. It is fairly light/compact and has good performance.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Thx guys, some great ideas for a two lens kit!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  13. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Walkaround lens, in addition to the kit zoom? Well, that kind of depends on what your preferred focal length is. Mine is smack bang true normal for m43, 22mm (the sensor diagonal). That would suggest the Panny 20mm. I have one, and the AF on it can be frustrating, so for a hypothetical GM5 I'd go for the Oly 25mm.

Second choice would be the Sigma 60mm, just to get more reach than the 12-32mm can give you.

But then I'm sure I'd be overcome with GAS and get the 15mm and the GWC1 :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Similar situation myself - my small GM1 kit is the PL15 + 45mm f/1.8. I'm probably going to switch to the 42.5mm f/1.7 in time because of OIS (for my GM1) and much better magnification ratio, which is of benefit even for my E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Sorry but I can't seem to narrow it down to just 2. I like the 15mm on the GM1, it's perfect for a walk about prime to me. I've also used the ginormous 42.5mm and found that it's only hand holdable if the Gariz half case is attached and even then you're basically holding the lens. I'm thinking of getting the kit zooms (12-32mm + 35-100mm) to go with this setup to make a super compact system. I'd have the two zooms for convenience and the 15mm for low light.
    Bobby
    PS, or I could get the 25mm f1.4 and have three (P/L) primes. :confused-53:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  16. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

How about just the 15/1.7 and 35-100? :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Or the 15mm and Olympus 45mm? The 45mm is quite small and light for a large aperture longer prime.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

18. phlk

phlk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2014
    London UK
    Hi I have owned the GM1 now for a few years and really appreciate the size, don't dismiss the standard lens it's pretty good ( sometimes just not fast enough for me) . My preferred choice of lenses come from my olympus camera, if the GM1 goes on a serious trip with me I take either the olympus 12mm or 17mm and always the olympus 45mm they are all great partners for the GM1 and make for a very compact kit. If you would like to see what they combination is capable of there are some GM1 photos on my flicker album below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70114057@N00/sets/72157648145523154

I have heard good things about the panasonic Leica 15mm and imagine that would work well too, good luck with your selection, I hope this helps

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

• Like Like x 4
  19. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Hi Phil, Thx for the link I enjoyed the set!

20. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Your Flickr photos are wonderful! It also shows me, very clearly, that the GM1 is an excellent camera that I haven't outgrown. You know you don't need to upgrade when someone (Phil) shows you that your gear is better than you are. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1