2-lens kit or 3-lens kit

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by strang, Nov 4, 2012.

1. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I kind of learned to shoot with a zoom + prime kit in the DSLRs. I swapped between using the 24mm or the 50mm primes and 18-200 super zoom on DX bodies. So that was a kit of 35mm, 75mm and 28-300mm equivalent. I had the 35mm DX, but for some reason I hardly used it. Maybe because I didn’t really have it until a bit later on, the other primes I had were D versions and were all 2nd hand purchases. All of these lenses are sold now as I switched systems.

I've been shooting with just the 14 and 25 for a short while since getting the E-M5. I love the experience of changing between 2 lenses. It just feels right. I don't really bring a bag, just pocket the lenses if it's cold and I'm wearing a jacket. Sometimes I would add the 9-18.

When I travel I bring my full kit in a bag.

I have since added the 45. As a matter of fact, this is my 2nd time with the 45. It's really nice, but I decided to sell it the 1st time to fund the 25. I don't regret it, and playing with f/1.4 is a lot of fun. Though now I have an equivalent kit of 28, 50, and 90. I don't particularly like having 1 lens mounted and then having both of my pockets occupied with another lens. I would sometimes forget which lens is in which pocket, etc. It feels annoying.

I'm thinking whether or not I will be able to replace the 14 and 25 with the upcoming Olympus 17 f/1.8. I'll be able to have a 2-lens kit again consisting of the 17 and the 45. The 35mm equivalent would be really versatile and I love shooting with that focal length. 45 is kind of a medium telephoto and it's still workable indoors. I understand that I would lose out on having the f/1.4 aperture. But the kit size would be smaller and more importantly the 25 is just ever so slightly heavier.

Please understand that I won't be selling any of my existing lenses. This is not one of those "oh I have to sell this lens to fund this other lens thread". I'm merely considering adding the 17/1.8 when it's released and then choose kits as I see fit for different days. However I do suspect that I will be carrying the 17 and 45 on most days. What are your feelings on kit selection on outings? Any rangefinder users who would like to chime in?
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    17 and 25 will be a very solid 2 lens setup! but i will prefer a wider one so I will choose a 14 or 12.
  3. limpeh09

limpeh09 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2012
    I would like a 12mm ,45mm and a 75mm.