2nd hand GX1

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Helping my brother last week with some "consumer"advice and checking the local equvialent of Craig list for G90s for him, I stumbled over several GX1 in the $80-100 bracket so I bought one, partially with the thought of getting it IR converted somewhere down the line, and partly to horse around with as a "clunker" EDC.

I came into M43 on the GX7, after the release of the GX8 so I never looked at the GX1 when it was current, I was then checking out the Fujis after buying a Pentax K7 due to its "small" size. I got the GX8 not long after the GX7, and never really looked back from that, and have had the G9 for a couple of years, with the GX8 as a second house after off-loading the GX7. It was what I foresaw, a slight upgrade every now and then and put the dosh in proper, good glass.

Anyhow, I had never seen a GX1 before I got my package today and by Jove is it tiny:
20210121_171334.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tiny does not equal light though, it is a solid little chunk. The deal I got, bought me the GX1 with the 14-42 power zoom and a nice little Manfrotto bag, all for about $110. Will probably off-load the power zoom, and it will cover most, possibly even the total cost of the package.

Part of the idea of buying it was as mentioned to use as a clunker EDC, and to see how it fares as such, gave it a small spin tonight with a 20mm MkII and first conclusion is somewhat easy, the lack of stabilizer is rather notable in the dark...

wonderwinterland (1 of 1).jpg

This one and the one below:

wonderwinterland (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Was what was salvageable from about 20 pictures taken, I have shot under similiar circumstances with modern types and it easily swaps around on the discharge/keeper ratio. I will pair the GX1 with the 12-32 and 35-100 f:4-5.6 combo and work those one out. For the moment it is quite intriguing, based on size and "feel" and I will work it a bit to see what is possible with it, especially in combination with the Topaz suit and lens stabilization.

If it lives up to its first impression as to what it produces as to files, I wouldn't be adverse to the idea of picking up a couple of more bodies and stick them in a drawer for later. Nor would I be raging if Panasonic brought out an updated version, am actually pondering the GX800, a bit dearer but still possible to get with the 12-32 for less than $200 over here, even though I am a bit leery to the lack of finger grips on it. I disregarded the GM5 back when I got the GX8 as to tiny, but cant recall if that one had any bumps.

Will look for a LVF-2, just because it is part of the system, and I do like a viewfinder, which is probably why I never looked at these ones, when they where current.

Last edited:

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's a great price, especially when including the kit lens. I like my GX1, bought it several years ago when my GX7 was in the shop. For the kind of photography I do its photos don't look all that different from from those taken with my GX7, if at all. The screen and system response difference, though, is really noticeable. I'd love to see how the LVF-2 looks, and have bid on the couple I've seen become available but couldn't get the price I wanted. I keep threatening to bring it with me as a second camera but have decided I ultimately prefer traveling light, so it's one or the other on outings. That combo with the p20 makes for a light traveling package, indeed! Enjoy!

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Just picked up a silver one last week myself. So many good features here for prices where they are. A very straightforward camera to operate and nice results possible from the 1st-gen 16Mpx sensor.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
Great little camera. Really solid build quality, made in Japan I believe. It was quite a premium priced model when released. I was really happy to pick one up here on the Sales forum when the prices dipped .

I must say though, the color science and overall image quality has improved since then. GX7 was a great step up already but nowhere as elegant, and the smaller EVF was a big disappointment .

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Had the possibility to get some dedicated time with it today, pesky weather and bad light made for some interesting shooting situations and "great" files to tweak with... First dry observation is that rain drops on the lens, dont show up on the screen...

Raindrops kept falling on my lens (1 of 1).jpg

And that there are more DR in it than I thought:

Abstract (1 of 1).jpg

Lenses of choice for todays outing was the 12-32 and its companion, the 35-100 f:4-5.6 and the camera with both lenses fits in a large(ish) jacket pocket.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
If you're into video at all, the galaXian hack at personal-view website can boost audio and video specs nicely. If you boost it fully you can't review video in the camera, so I used as much improvement as I could without hitting that limit.

I really liked that pressing ISO showed every possible setting as separate buttons. I made that screen pop up once or twice on the GX7 but mostly I got a dial, which took a long time to go from Auto to 8000 compared to any option one click away.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
GX1 in the $80-100 bracket so I bought one, partially with the thought of getting it IR converted somewhere down the line
If you do go this route, I can vouch for the tiny Panasonic 14mm f2.5 pancake being a very good IR lens (no hotspots) and marries nicely with a small body like that one. Also since passive IR photography is usually always daylight shooting and assuming you will be mostly shooting wider, the lack of IS on that camera shouldn't be needed anyway. I use a converted Oly E-P2 and the IS is not functional on it, but I have found it not needed for an IR camera.

Sounds like the GX1 is a lot like my E-P2. Small camera but much heavier in the hand that expected. I used Sugru to build up the front grip larger and also to add a nub on the back for my thumb to improve handling, especially one handed, of the camera. With its small native grip, the weight of the body always made it feel like it wanted to twist out of my hand.

Also since IR shooting is mostly daylight, I found using the back LCD to be difficult to see at times. Since I really only needed it to frame the shot, I initially opted for a vintage Kodak hotshoe mounted optical viewfinder. These days I see you can buy have a number of modern versions in different focal lengths for cheap. So you might look into a "28mm" on if you use the 14mm lens or a "40mm" if you try the Panny 20 pancake on it if you want to try getting away with just a simple cheap visual aid to help that you are mostly framing the shot correctly. Example: https://www.amazon.com/LICHIFIT-External-Optical-Viewfinder-Cameras/dp/B0B4X5DB1P/ I eventually picked up the Oly VF-3 add on EVF, the crappiest one but also the cheapest and I think the only one that actually locks into the hotshoe so you can not accidentally brush it off the camera when walking around.

And the idea of using it as an "clunker" EDC is also a good use. I picked up the tiny Oly E-PM2 for this purpose. Fortunately it is a lot lighter than the E-P2 and therefore I didn't feel the need to change the grip. I share the VF-3 EVF between these two camera. If you pick up the LVF-2 for yours, you might consider a second GX1 or another similar model and then you can have both an IR camera and a EDC that share the EVF between them. I also added Peak Design anchors to both mine and so I can also share my one wrist strap between them as well.

Anyway, have fun. Sometimes exploring these old "outdated" cameras can be more fun their your current flagship.

Latest threads

Top Bottom