2 FL300Rs versus 1 FL50R

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Gary Ramey, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I use my big FL50R about once or twice a year. Usually at a graduation or some kind of performance where I need a lot of range on the flash. When I use it for family gatherings, I find it almost overkill. Last year I purchased a FL300R and was quite impressed with this little flash. So, because they can be easily setup to remotely trigger, the thought has crossed my mind to simply sell the FL50R and by another FL300R in case I need to light up a larger area. The long range stuff, I'm ready to say its okay to use natural light with as many indoor activities like recitals and the like are heading flash-less anyway. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I personally wouldn't feel the FL300Rs have enough power to really light up a larger area.

It is a pretty nifty flash though. Wish they took AA's instead of AAA's. FL600Rs are pretty nice, powerful, and compact.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    300R covers 14mm wide angles with F8 and higher ISO's fine. I'd keep the 50R for when needed, F11 & ISO 200. I'd think selling 50R for another 300R money wise would be a loss. Same cost or even money at best. And have two 300R flashes with overlap brightness to deal with.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Sell your FL-50R and get either a FL-600R or a FL-36R used and use the 300R as fill or catch light. Big powerful flashes like the 50R are useful if you use it in conjunction with a medium sized softbox on a light stand. That way their power would be muted by the diffuser panel of the softbox. Or if you want, use the 50R as a bounce flash off the ceiling (white or close to it) and then use the 300R to fill the shadows of your subject matter.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I have 2x FL50Rs and 1xFL36R

the latter is the least used flash unit, despite it's much lighter form.

it's not just single shot power, for any given output the 50 will be ready to go so much faster - but then again I don't know the relative charging on the 300R

as already said there will always be times you need more flash power - however much you carry! even at f4.5, 1/40th & iso 1600 I needed 2 x FL50s for this shot :(

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    thanks everyone...maybe I just need to shoot more...lol. I think I've decided to keep them all. The two 300Rs have a pretty slow recycle time but would make a nice remote fill flash when necessary.