2 day old OMD dead

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by NJH, Dec 19, 2012.

1. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Just my luck, always managed to get perfectly working cameras until now, including an E420, E3 and E-P2. Here is the run of events:

OMD arrived Monday evening, put my only lens on (45-200), battery in and fired her up. Strange thing is at first all I got was a grey screen in the EVF for about 20 seconds, then a funny pop like a flash gun and the camera sprang into life. Played with it for a bit but I felt I should make sure the bat is fully charged so popped the bat out on the charger. 2 hours later bat fully charged and put back in camera, thing fires up straight away and works like a dream. Couldn't stop playing with my new toy so probably turned it on and off 4 or 5 times before going to bed. Take the camera out tonight and she won't turn on, just get a grey screen in the EVF, buttons do nothing and occasionally the camera pops like a flash gun, the EVF flashes then goes out then comes back with the same empty grey screen. Put bat on charger again, and hour or so later I put the supposedly fully charged bat into the camera but yet again no life just the grey screen, occasional pop sound followed by flash of life in the EVF followed by blank black nothingness on the EVF then back to the grey screen again. Scary thing is now it seems that sometimes turning it on results on nothing not even the blank grey screen, also turning it off the grey screen is still showing in the EVF for 10 seconds or so. Tried charging the bat again but no life in my OMD :frown:.

So it seems I either I have a dead battery or a dead camera? :frown:
    Will be headed off back to Amazon after Christmas.

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Sorry to hear that...but look at the bright side.....better it happen now than when the return window ends

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's a bad time right now with the holiday mail, but don't wait too long...make sure Amazon will allow a wait that long...maybe get the RMA now.

4. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Poor package handling might be the result with the amount of holiday volume going on----I bet the next one will be perfect!

5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Was it new or refurbished? I just got one refurbished from Cameta. Anyway Amazon's return policy right now is until Jan. 31! I've got a G5 and a 100-300mm to try(rent), also. I just have to wait until xmas to play with my toys...

6. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    dude, take it from me. use a brand new memory card. i went through 2, and finally on the third, i tried a new memory card and the camera has been flawless.

something about the files that my nikon dslr wrote onto the memory card, that made it really messed up..

i have like 3 threads about my "DEFECTIVE OMDS".. the 2nd OMD I had did have the dark images issue, but i'm pretty sure the first one I had was my memory card.

7. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    and i forgot to add.. it had the exact "SYMPTOMS" as yours.

sorry for the excessive use of quotes..

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Perhaps if it is a reputable memory card (brand), then a format in a computer before formatting it in the camera should clear those issues, but I prefer to use Sandisk Extreme cards for mine.

9. limpeh09

limpeh09 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2012
    Singapore
    I got the same problem with the OMD initially but after replacing the memory card,it works fine since.

10. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Yes - my e-pm1 did the same thing with a bad card. Swapped the card out and all was well.

11. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Memory card was last used in my EP2 and when the OMD did work it displayed all the old images from the that camera when in review. I tried it without a card and had exactly the same problems, will try again though after puling the battery.

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it is a cheap copy of a brand name card it can still have problems even if it did work OK before, so what is the brand of the SD card & is it genuine? It seems that it needs to be ruled out before returning a camera that might be OK if only playing up because of a duff card, especially when others had similar symptons. As I said before, I prefer (genuine, with serial number) Sandisk Extreme (& Pro) cards for speed & reliabilty. It's just not worth trying cheaper cards.

If it turns out to be the camera then I'm sorry to hear that & hope you can get a replacement quickly.

13. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    I use a mish mash of no name and brand name cards with my EM-5 and have never noticed an issue like you're having. They all work fine. I'd send it back and get one that works right.

14. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Mine was a san disk extreme... bought a new one and omd worked fine..

Formatting in the computer and in the camera did not solve the issue

15. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

Also try taking your lens off then on again. Check the connections are clean and intact. I've had a blank screen a few times that was due to a bad lens connection.

16. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Did all of that, card is a Sandisk Extreme which ISTR buying from Mifsuds. Tried with another 2 cards all with the same result.

17. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Time to send it back.