2 Cameras or 1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by buffy1270, Aug 2, 2013.

1. buffy1270

buffy1270 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2010
    Hi. First a little history. I previously owned a G5 which I liked but had to sell due to some health/financial concerns that came up. I had to sell it before I was able to use it a lot. Since then I have recently purchased an EPM2 and love the jpeg output of the camera. My main interests as far as photography are macro and birding/wildlife photography. Right now I have the EPM2 with kit lens and Oly 45 1.8 for pictures of pets, etc. I liked a lot of the G5 features for the wildlife photography especially the ergonomics with larger lenses so a few questions. Which of the following would you do?

1) Keep the EPM2 to use with an Oly 60 2.8 for macro and also get a G5 to use with telephoto lens.

2) Sell the EPM2 and use a G5 for both applications.

3) Keep the EPM2, get a VF and use for both applications (with either Panny 100-300 or Oly 75-300).

4) Wait (for possibly a long while for me financially) and get the OMD and sell the EPM2.

I currently use a Canon SX50HS for birding.

Are there any features of the EPM2 or G5 that are better one over the other for the type of photography I am doing?

Am I overlooking something? I am so conflicted because I love the output of the EPM2 but feel like it may be difficult with the telephoto lenses. Whatever I do I would like to be able to keep for a couple of years before upgrading. Thanks.

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I would say use the E-PM2 for both first since you already have it. If you think you need the G5 then get it later on :smile:

3. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Stick with what you've got

You clearly like what you have. Why buy another body? Do you really think it will make you a better photographer? Hang on to the money as you never know when you might have additional health/financial issues.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If money is limited, lens(es) do more to affect your images than another body will.

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I'd keep the E-PM2 and get a VF. The sensor is better than that on the G5 and the addition of a VF should make it more versatile.

There are some new cameras coming out, the GX7 and possibly new OM-D models, so might be better off saving up for one of them than buying a second body right now. Then when you do upgrade, keep the E-PM2 as your second body.

6. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    ^^ +1. I have a Panasonic GF1 with a VF and I have used that for birding and little bit of macro. It's a little chunkier than the E-PM2, but it is of similar design and I can use the P100-300 lens with it. Just take the weight of the lens with your left hand and operate the camera with your right hand.
    However I would like a two camera set up such as the G5 and E-PM2 and have the best of both worlds. The good news is now the Panasonic G6 is out, the G5 price is starting to drop, they both share the same sensor.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I would buy a DSLR for birding :hmmm:

8. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I would keep the Pen, but recognise its limitations for birding.

When shooting birds I mostly use my E-M5 with adapted MF telephoto primes, always with the EVF and usually pod-mounted. This works well for stationary birds, or when i can prefocus on where the bird will be (e.g., landing from flight etc). The EVF magnification means I can MF accurately, and shooting at up to 9fps helps with the timing - I know it's cheating, the old slide shooter inside me hates it, but it works ;-) Like many of us, I grew up with MF so I've taken plenty of BIF shots with my MF lenses, but the keeper ratio is lower.

If you are happy to use MF, there are some lovely lenses available at criminally low prices, and the new VF4 will work with your Pen with the latest firmware.

I have the mZD 75-300, but haven't used it much for birds yet.

I'm not a big fan of the continuous autofocus of m43 cameras, so if I wanted autofocus BIF shots I would prefer PDAF, which AFAIK currently means either DSLR/T, or a Nikon 1. The Nikon 1 is compact and light, but longest lens is the 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6, which provides only half the "equivalent" focal length of the the m43 300mm zooms. If BIF was more important to me I'd strongly consider getting a DSLR/T with a big lens. [*]

I don't know if there is a hybrid 43/m43 solution that works at an affordable price. I understand there some very nice O 43 lenses.

---------
    * Or put your lunch on the picnic table and use a fisheye to shoot the inevitable hungry emu or ibis. :p

9. buffy1270

buffy1270 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2010
    Rajc - I never thought a new camera would make me a better photographer.

My main concern was the ergonomics of the epm2 for that purpose and if there happened to be any features I am missing of one over the other that makes one more desirable than the other for this purpose. It is great to hear that some of you have used the smaller bodies with the 100-300 for this. Thanks!

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Buy a viewfinder.
    How about that nice new VF-4?

11. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    You should definitely buy a g5.