1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

(1st Post) Getting to know the GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by John M Flores, Jan 8, 2011.

1. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Hey folks,

First post here. Want to say that I've only lurked a short while but I've already learned stuff, so I think that this will be a good place to hang and share info.

I just bought a GH2. I'm a Pentax shooter and was really wanting the K-5 with its impressive high ISO performance, but I've made some money last year shooting video with the K-x and really needed to expand my video capabilities more than my still capabilities. So the GH2 won. The K-5 will have to wait for my next excuse ;-).

Anyway, the Internet is teaming with video tests of the GH2, so I thought that I'd share my experiences with the GH2 as a still camera. That's my background after all, and I was curious how the little Panny would compare to my K20d and my wife's K-x.

It's early days, but I've started posting my thoughts on my blog - What Blog is This. This isn't a test charts and brick walls kind of evaluation - I don't have the patience to do that stuff. I just bring the camera with me, shoot, and talk about what I see and how the camera is to use.

That's all for now. Thanks for listening...john flores

5327999401_972ec5c803_z.
    Mirror, mirror, on the wall... by john m flores, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  2. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Welcome John.....nice blog. Thanks for sharing.

R

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome John, and Hello from snowy Scotland :smile:

All the best,

Colin

4. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    brought the camera to MOMA today. Battery 2 out of 3 bars. 10 short videos and 119 photos later, kaput. Dead.

What kind of battery life are people here getting?

Photography at MOMA by john m flores, on Flickr

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Why did you start the day with less than a fully charged battery?

I get about 300-350 shots on my GF1

6. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I routinely got around 500 shots and a handful of short video clips on a day of shooting on my trip. I am fairly conservative with the battery though. I shut it off pretty regularly, have the auto shutoff enabled, and mostly use the EVF. It has been better than my G1, which I thought was good at 350-400 shots and no video.

The scale is not very linear however, as it wasn't on my G1 either. I think the first bar is about 1/2 of the life, 2nd bar 1/3, and last bar, not much. So if you left the house with 2 bars, especially if you were on the lower end of 2 bars, I could see getting your results.

7. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

John

I shoot with an µ43 and a dSLR when it comes to battery life it is like chalk and cheese. Because I am using a GF-1 I suspect the poor battery life is due to the display being on for a good percentage of the time. I don't know how many shots I get I do shoot daily and shoot about 20 shots per day and i am charging my camera up weekly. I suspect I am getting 200 to 250 shots between charges.

With my dSlR I can go off canoeing in the wilderness for three to four weeks and get by with one charge. If I were to do extensive shooting with my GF-1 I would have a second battery.

8. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Thx for the feedback. Since the camera is new I've been avoiding the temptation to do a top-up charge all the time. I've been going through full charge/discharge cycles in the (foolish?) believe that I'm conditioning the battery - like breaking in a car. Old habits die hard...

I suspected that the 3 bars were non-linear. You would think that they can provide a more accurate method. It's a bit frustrating because spare batteries aren't widely available. I'm going to have to think about this before taking the camera out to a paying gig.

And then there's this:
    5342540189_1d16d7aaf5.
    So close yet so far by john m flores, on Flickr

9. Frank Petronio

Frank Petronio New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2011
    Upstate New York
    You could always cut down the QR plate.

10. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Notice on the Manfrotto base plates there are two arrows to indicate the lens position. Just rotate the base plate 90˚ and it should work. Well, it does for the GF-1 :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Big "Doh!" on my part. I've seen those arrows but have always mounted the plates as shown in the picture. Old habits die hard I guess. You can removed the battery without removing the plate when rotated, but you do have to take it off the tripod first.

Now all I need is another battery. Does anyone have a source? I can't find them anywhere...

12. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  13. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Thx Richard. That place wanted $12 shipping on a $49 item. I'm going to hold for now and wait for one of the local shops to carry...

14. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    tons of threads on dpreview concerning the battery life on gh2. I had the gh2 for a few days and noticed the same thing. I had a gf1 and I could go days without recharging the bat. same for my pen. buy a couple more and keep them handy!

15. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'm going to wait for one of my local stores to stock, unless I get a video gig in the next week or two...

Next question/observation:

5345205936_4198b537b3_z.
    GH2 Dynamic range test by john m flores, on Flickr

When I composed the shot through the EVF, the shadows in the lower right were totally black. When I viewed in Lightroom, I was pleasantly surprised to see detail there.

What situations are people happy with the EVF? What situations do you find it lacking?

thx all!

16. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    GH2 super-speedy

Thanks John.
    I really love the GH2. The fidelity is great with the 14-140mm lens, and the speed of operation with the touch-screen set to both focus and fire, is just unbelievable, really. Super for street photograhpy.
    Eolake

17. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Finally had a chance to take the GH2 out in the sun. Natural light and some color for a change - not just the greys of winter.

5362158509_806cb2757a_b.
    Cattails in the Marsh by john m flores, on Flickr

Color me impressed....

• Like Like x 2
  18. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  19. capt3450

capt3450 New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2010
    For ten more buck more you can order from Panasonic online (and know it's real). I just checked they has DMW-BLC12 for $69 in stock.
    -capt3450

20. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I may stop by handb on Thursday in NYC. Could always use an extra battery...thx.