(1st Post) Getting to know the GH2

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Hey folks,

First post here. Want to say that I've only lurked a short while but I've already learned stuff, so I think that this will be a good place to hang and share info.

I just bought a GH2. I'm a Pentax shooter and was really wanting the K-5 with its impressive high ISO performance, but I've made some money last year shooting video with the K-x and really needed to expand my video capabilities more than my still capabilities. So the GH2 won. The K-5 will have to wait for my next excuse ;-).

Anyway, the Internet is teaming with video tests of the GH2, so I thought that I'd share my experiences with the GH2 as a still camera. That's my background after all, and I was curious how the little Panny would compare to my K20d and my wife's K-x.

It's early days, but I've started posting my thoughts on my blog - What Blog is This. This isn't a test charts and brick walls kind of evaluation - I don't have the patience to do that stuff. I just bring the camera with me, shoot, and talk about what I see and how the camera is to use.

That's all for now. Thanks for listening...john flores

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mirror, mirror, on the wall... by john m flores, on Flickr

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Why did you start the day with less than a fully charged battery?

I get about 300-350 shots on my GF1

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
brought the camera to MOMA today. Battery 2 out of 3 bars. 10 short videos and 119 photos later, kaput. Dead.

What kind of battery life are people here getting?
I routinely got around 500 shots and a handful of short video clips on a day of shooting on my trip. I am fairly conservative with the battery though. I shut it off pretty regularly, have the auto shutoff enabled, and mostly use the EVF. It has been better than my G1, which I thought was good at 350-400 shots and no video.

The scale is not very linear however, as it wasn't on my G1 either. I think the first bar is about 1/2 of the life, 2nd bar 1/3, and last bar, not much. So if you left the house with 2 bars, especially if you were on the lower end of 2 bars, I could see getting your results.

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
What kind of battery life are people here getting?

John

I shoot with an µ43 and a dSLR when it comes to battery life it is like chalk and cheese. Because I am using a GF-1 I suspect the poor battery life is due to the display being on for a good percentage of the time. I don't know how many shots I get I do shoot daily and shoot about 20 shots per day and i am charging my camera up weekly. I suspect I am getting 200 to 250 shots between charges.

With my dSlR I can go off canoeing in the wilderness for three to four weeks and get by with one charge. If I were to do extensive shooting with my GF-1 I would have a second battery.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Thx for the feedback. Since the camera is new I've been avoiding the temptation to do a top-up charge all the time. I've been going through full charge/discharge cycles in the (foolish?) believe that I'm conditioning the battery - like breaking in a car. Old habits die hard...

I suspected that the 3 bars were non-linear. You would think that they can provide a more accurate method. It's a bit frustrating because spare batteries aren't widely available. I'm going to have to think about this before taking the camera out to a paying gig.

And then there's this:

So close yet so far by john m flores, on Flickr

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Notice on the Manfrotto base plates there are two arrows to indicate the lens position. Just rotate the base plate 90˚ and it should work. Well, it does for the GF-1 :biggrin:
Big "Doh!" on my part. I've seen those arrows but have always mounted the plates as shown in the picture. Old habits die hard I guess. You can removed the battery without removing the plate when rotated, but you do have to take it off the tripod first.

Now all I need is another battery. Does anyone have a source? I can't find them anywhere...

youry

Mu-43 Regular
tons of threads on dpreview concerning the battery life on gh2. I had the gh2 for a few days and noticed the same thing. I had a gf1 and I could go days without recharging the bat. same for my pen. buy a couple more and keep them handy!

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I'm going to wait for one of my local stores to stock, unless I get a video gig in the next week or two...

Next question/observation:

GH2 Dynamic range test by john m flores, on Flickr

When I composed the shot through the EVF, the shadows in the lower right were totally black. When I viewed in Lightroom, I was pleasantly surprised to see detail there.

What situations are people happy with the EVF? What situations do you find it lacking?

thx all!

eolake

Mu-43 Regular
GH2 super-speedy

Thanks John.
I really love the GH2. The fidelity is great with the 14-140mm lens, and the speed of operation with the touch-screen set to both focus and fire, is just unbelievable, really. Super for street photograhpy.
Eolake

John M Flores

Super Moderator

capt3450

New to Mu-43
For ten more buck more you can order from Panasonic online (and know it's real). I just checked they has DMW-BLC12 for $69 in stock.
-capt3450

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom