1st Mu-43 Salon Competition - Self-Portrait

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by fredlong, Feb 22, 2012.

1. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Welcome to the first Mu-43 Bi-Weekly Salon!

The theme for this historic first salon is Self-Portrait. It seems like photographers all hate having their pictures taken so this will be the hardest one. We might as well get it out of the way right up front!

Be as creative and broad in your interpretation of the theme as you like.

Fred

Rules:
    1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. Upload your entry to your Mu-43 user gallery (all entries must be present in a Mu-43 gallery), which you automatically get if you are registered on the Mu-43 forum, so if you aren`t registered you will need to if you would like to join the fun.

3. To enter your photo after uploading, copy the code in the Linked Image box and paste it into a reply to to this message. You can use the Quick Reply box at the bottom of this page.

4. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you intend doing.

5. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

6. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Mu-43 Contests and Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. That opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

7. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

8. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun.

9. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

The competition ends at midnight Wed. March 7 (UTC/GMT)

• Like Like x 3
  2. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I think it’s not fair to not show my own face even though I can’t enter. Here’s one of me on the job to get the ball rolling.

BTW If this were an actual entry it wouldn't be likely to win as I don't think it's very good.

Painter_Photographer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    So... the photo doesn't have to be taken during the time the challenge is open? (Just making sure, because most of the photo challenges I have seen require you take the picture after the gauntlet has been thrown down...)

4. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No, it doesn't. The only requirements are that it was taken by the entrant and it fits the theme. Any equipment, film or digital, any time as long as it's yours. I think it allows for the broadest participation and it's for fun after all.

If, for example, we had Spring for a theme next month half the world would be left out.

I stole the format from the Four Thirds User forum. They're now on their 110th, so it works pretty well. Here's the current one over there.

Fred
    110th Four Thirds User Salon - Farming Heritage - Four Thirds User discussion forum

5. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Sounds good... Here's my ugly mug... The day I got my EPL2 :biggrin: (Some of my personal favorite shots on my cubicle wall behind me.)

6856561347_392b347d92_b.
    Mu-43 Self-Portrait by owensbyphoto, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    That's a little disappointing. I think many here would appreciate entries being limited to m43 cameras to showcase what the format is capable of, especially seeing that this is a m43 forum...

• Like Like x 3
  7. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I agree to an extent. The other viewpoint is making this about pictures and people behind them is a better way to be a bit more inclusive since many folks here have multiple systems and limiting to only m43 is a bit arbitrary.

• Like Like x 1
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It would be a little weird, though, if DSLRs started wining the contests here. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    How about a compromise: DSLR photos can be entered but they're not allowed to win! :rofl:

• Like Like x 5
  11. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    We talk about equipment a lot, after all it's equipment that brought us all here. There are lots of threads that showcase the equipment. You can find samples of pretty much any combination of body and lens that's available somewhere on this forum. I think that's wonderful.

I'm hoping we can keep this about photographs and how individuals approach a common theme. Making images is why we got the equipment in the first place. Ultimately the image is everything and the equipment is just a means.

Fred

• Like Like x 5
  12. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Well ain't this fun. :biggrin:
    Unfortunately you don't see too much of me in this shot, but it's "arty".
    (Taken on a long drive home from a road trip to the Bay area last year).

EPL16348-XL.

• Like Like x 3
  13. eltictac

eltictac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    I thought I might join in on the fun!
    skateboardface.

• Like Like x 7
  14. danxk

danxk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2010
    Spain
    P2227834.

Ep3 + 45 1.8

• Like Like x 10
  15. Graham_of_Rainham

Graham_of_Rainham Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Never quite got the hang of these things :redface:

Self_Portrait3.

• Like Like x 13
  16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/16118484]Me, 2009-12-03 on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 3
  17. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

awesome pictures coming along.

Some will know what this is and others won't.:smile:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6776191258/" title="me, myself and i by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 6776191258_75567c028d_b. "1024" height="769" alt="me, myself and i"></a>​

• Like Like x 3
  18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Haha.. I opened mine too. Plan on mounting it to a wall some day :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  19. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Taken a while ago, me+EPL2+Bokeh balls in pop art filter+frame!:smile: