1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

1st long exp with EM5 & P7-14. Thanks Tony.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Livnius, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    G'day folks.

Finally rigged up my P7-14 with a Cokin P holder based on the Tony B method....worked great I think. https://www.mu-43.com/f38/using-filters-7-14mm-problem-solved-28762/
    The shot below is a 5 second exposure in what was still relatively bright light, my plan was to stick around to just after sunset and really stretch out
    the exposure to 30 seconds + ....but had to unexpectedly leave so didn't get the chance to stick around. Maybe next time.

I had a 3 stop ND and a 2 stop reverse grad stacked (both Hitech) but given the amount of strong light I was only able to get a 5s
    exposure and thus the water surface didn't completely turn to a smokey glass, also, there wasn't much movement in the clouds so there no chance of
    getting anything dynamic there. Had I been able to stick around for 30 minutes longer I would have got the weaker light and thus the longer exposure
    and effect I was after.

This shot was taken at 8mm which is awesome given I had a holder and 2 filters attached....unfortunately though, I had to crop a little and lost some width
    because of some reflections I was getting off the filters from the big city lights behind me...simply standing behind the camera probably would have sorted
    that out. All in all I'm pretty happy with the result and the potential....the holder and filters take up next to no space at all.

BTW....this is what is left of the original Princes Pier in Port Melbourne. It was built 100 yrs ago was 580 meters long and had a railway line on it.
    This bridge was where a huge number of Melbournes post world war II European migrants first set foot on Australian soil. I don't think the per got much use
    in recent decades, unmaintained it became unstable and dismantled about 10 years ago....this is all that's left.

princes_pier.

• Like Like x 36
  2. dbrantley13

dbrantley13 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2012
    Wow, this is a fantastic photo. I love the texture of the wood. The fact that you think you could've had a better result given more time makes me hope you get the chance to go back so I can see that result. You've convinced me that ND filters should be next on my list (oh, and an UWA lens too). In reality though, credit goes to you for composing this and again, awesome work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I almost gave up on getting the 7-14mm till I saw Tony's thread :smile:. Thank you so much Tony and Livnius, I'll have to make this rig soon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Awesome shot. I actually think it's pretty near perfect and prefer it without the longer exposure which would have "smoke glassed" the water.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Gorgeous shot, Joe. Well worth the effort and planning!

• Like Like x 1
  6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Fantastic photo- on many levels. Love the texture, perspective, and colors. Thanks for sharing your tips too. I'd like to look into filters for the 7-14, and this comes in quite handy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Great shot

• Like Like x 1
  8. Guerillah

Guerillah Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    David
    Great picture.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Cool shot, great composition...I Like :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Wow!! That is superb. Colours, sky, composition and subject material are spot-on.Nice effect on the water too....makes it look like sheet ice.
    JohnyT

• Like Like x 1
  11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks for the feedback guys...appreciate it.

I'm definitely going to experiment further with these filters on the UWA P7-14, I may even take it a step further and buy the big 10-stop ND light blocker and see how that goes.

There is definitely a lot of positive to say for grads when trying to directly balance harsh light and make it easier to get a good looking exposure that needs less pushing and pulling of shadow/highlight sliders in LR....which although excellent and a big improvement over LR3 can still if pushed too far bring in a fair bit of noise and a weird looking blotchiness I've noticed....if I can get the grad to do much of the heavy lifting at the time of exposure then I should be able to manage a cleaner final result.

It's all just a bit of fun and experimentation, just like my next experiment , macro, it's all about trying different things and maybe learning a thing or two along the way.

12. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    lovely....

• Like Like x 1
  13. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Great photo! Now I also learned which company makes good filters over 3 stops, since Cokin stops at ND8. The Hitech Prostop ND3.0 sounds promising with that foam gasket to prevent light spillage.

• Like Like x 1
  14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    good job! I really love to use NDs for UWA lenses, definitely worth the hardwork you got there. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  15. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The only word that came to mind when looking at this photo was "pow"... just tons of impact there. Great composition, thanks for sharing it! I can see what you mean about wanting to go for a longer exposure to smooth the water out, that'd probably look great too.

Guess I should really think about some filters and doing more long exposure work. I've gotten used to going without a tripod, but the downside is I can't get stunning shots like that! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Great composition and PP as always.

You definitely got this look down pat.

• Like Like x 1
  17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    What a fabulous shot! I like the water as it is, and the wood supports seem to go on forever. Can't stop looking at it! :smile:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I keep waiting for eddie Murphy to come walking across with a glass of water!

• Like Like x 2
  19. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Joe,
    Well done!

Some background please on why those posts are in the water. What is their purpose?

Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

The posts are what remains of the original timber pier. The pier was for many years the focal point of the local economy, a naval loading platform during both world wars and the first piece of Australia many migrants set foot on post WWII.

Never totally demolished....the top deck and railway line was removed leaving only the many hundreds of posts that held the structure up. Why were they left there ? A marine moument....expensive removal.....marine life sanctuary ? I don't know for certain, perhaps they left it for people to practice their photography skills on :)

The image below taken from the "We are the Royals" website (We Are The Royals ยป A Pier For The People) shows what the pier looked like back in its earliest days. It's amazing to see in this image just how many tall-ships are parked along the pier.

princes_pier1.

• Like Like x 2