1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

1st day in NYC

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by JohnMetsn, Jul 10, 2011.

1. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Just arrived. Didn't have a guts to take a subway with my son in a stroller, so chose to walk instead. That's the best way how to see the city anyway. Walking from around 90th St. to around 40th St. was a bit exhausting, but surely fun. Took a few snaps, mostly with one hand. Nothing spectacular, just first experiences with NYC.

Cheers :smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome to the states Ondrej

• Like Like x 1
  3. petach

petach Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    I am jealous, but will be there again in November hopefully. Nice set of images you have there. There was only a naked cowboy when I last took some shots! For the gritty urban look obviously times square is a must, and around Penn' Station. but maybe counteract that with a look at the more genteel upper east side".......say from E64th 2nd/3rd upwards. That is a different ball game. If you are there next Sunday, take in central park.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks Alan :smile:

Thanks :smile: There were many "naked individuals" when I was at Times Square, but when I was taking picture of that lady, some African-american gentleman strongly whispered into my ear "Don't take picture of that naked girl", so taking quick shots doesn't seems to be welcomed. Pretending not knowing English is the way to go in these cases. I noticed already many ppl in NY who can't speak English very well :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Keep those street shots coming! I wonder if I could get away with 'not knowing English'? Hmmm. Tempting.... :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm very envious as I've always wanted to go To NYC. Have a great time and post more shots.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    It seems like a major percent of our population gets away without knowing English. Or is that a misunderestimation? I don"t think my claims can be refudiated.:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    Keep the pictures coming... i will live NY through your eyes this year. My fiance and I always go every year but, since we are getting married in October we will be going to Dominican afterwards instead of NY as a honeymoon.

Cheers and enjoy your stay its a wonderful city to take in. as someone else had said central park would be nice to visit. The empire state building or the rockefeller centre has nice city scape views.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Ah, I see you've discovered our get-out-of-jail-free card! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nice Ondrej, especially when handicapped by a stroller. Welcome to the States. When you coming to Los Angeles? (Naked people will be arrested here in LA, which is probably more fortunate than unfortunate.)

G

216936487_kbpUZ-XL.

• Like Like x 3
  11. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I'm back in Czech rep. already. Visiting US was a great experience and somehow surprising. I surely enjoyed NYC a lot...well I love Tokyo, so I have a thing for big cities I guess :smile: To be fair, I should make clear that when I was talking about lack of English speakers, I had experience mainly with taxi drivers and staff at Asian restaurants :wink: But it's also true, that when I was getting off the plane and one purely NYC girl with piercing in her nose told me "Welcome to NYC", I didn't understand a word. Getting used to US/NYC English took some time but it was surely fun :smile: If I'll find some more pictures worth sharing I'll surely post them here on mu-43.

Unfortunately not this time, not enough money for travelling in US. But if there's some place I would love to visit next, CA is surely on the top of my list...hopefully someday in the future :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    We'll have to trade some NYC tips! I just got back yesterday. I ended up taking most of my shots on film in NYC and am working on scanning it up over the next week.
    You should really have taken the subway - I think you would've gotten some great shots there, And it was completely safe!
    Great work on those street shots:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks Kosta, I'm looking forward to your shots :) I took subway...once. I couldn't miss the experience. But with the lack of lifts...oh sorry - elevators...it's rather difficult with stroller. I already damaged my knees in Tokyo, when I was carrying the stroller with my son all the time...