1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

1st Attempt w/ Adapted Lenses

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by GaryAyala, Jun 4, 2011.

1. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'm looking for a decent macro (like a Nikkor Micro) ... but picked up these questionable lenses (and a pristine Argus C3) for a song ana dance.

A) Samyang 28-70 3.5 w/ 1.5x macro

B) Vivitar 28-210 3.5 w/ 1.4x macro

Samyang @ 70mm

1050679-L.
    Vivitar @ 210mm

[​IMG]
    Vivitar @ 1.4 macro - (love the bokeh)

1050682-L.
    Samyang I think ... lol

G

• Like Like x 8
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I LOVE the light in the second one.

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Gary,

They feel "soft" somehow... is it processing, or the lens? I really don't know, but they seems kind of soft to be..

I do love the bokeh in number 3.

I'm just glad you're making some images!

4. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I think it needs some more "punchy" borders :biggrin:

Now seriously, the Vivitar seems to produce better pictures to mi liking. I want to get to macro world a bit as well and was deciding between the Nikkor Micro and Canon FD Micro. Somehow I found the bokeh more pleasant in case of Canon from the sample pictures and I found a nice deal, so I got that Canon. Still thinking about getting that Nikkor as well though...to compare them and decide which one will stay.

Unfortunately (considering I payed for another lens) my best macro shots till now are still those from Alan's Rokkor lens with ext. tube.

PS: It's nice to see a 1st attempt from a PRO like you Gary...makes me want to try more as well :smile:

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks Luke.

6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    It's all San Andrea's fault : the Vivitar got only a Richter's scale 2 jolt. Or it was shot at the start of the beer pack. :drinks:

Serious mode, now. Gary and John, may I ask why you go first for 35mm lenses, when there are excellent 4/3 or :43: alternatives, whether from Pan or Oly ?

Would you consider a Hasselblad 120 macro on a Nikon? No, because you know already it will be bulky, and its resolution disappointing.

Only a couple of my 35mm lenses make full use of the sensor resolution on my N* D3X. And I don't say in the corners of the frame... Still, the others are no lemons by all tests and accounts. Now, the linear resolution of a 12 MP basic :43: sensor is close to the double.

The best 35mm Nikkors are already in trouble with 24 MP, and you expect them to cut through 48 millions? Okay, there's a "sweet spot" effect, but in macro it gets even worse : remember the image circle has doubled when you reach 1:1, meaning the resolving power of the lens is spread even thinner.

I know--this is sad. Otherwise, I'd have only one lens, say a 18 in. Red Dot Artar and maybe a 14" GD Dagor for snapshots (it's a pancake lens, after all), and just switch film size for the desired field of view... Goerz rocks :cool:

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I wasn't paying a lot of attention to anything but focus and my shutter speed was pretty low (1/100) for #3 with the lens racked out to 210 w/macro. I included #3 just for the bokeh. #1, at 100%, in the center the anthers on the stamens were well defined, corners and edges of the frame dropped off but that could just be due to focal plane and shallow DOF.

These lenses have very good edges (I guess that contrast) but not as sharp as my Canon L's or Pany 14 & 20. Normally, I easily handhold long lenses (300 to 600 on a dSLR) even for sports without much difficulty ... but man I was all over the landscape at 210 with the GF1. Gotta work on technique.

This is just a quick experiment and I think there is much to say about legacy glass. Presently, the jury is still out for me and legacy ... but it has peaked my curiosity. There seems to be potential hidden under the skin of glass as old or older than I ... haven't determined if that potential is worth the time and effort of Ebay/CL and MF.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks O-

This was more play time then a scientific study like Alan performs. I just received my adapter yesterday and as the sun was fading took some quick snaps in the backyard.

G

• Like Like x 1
  9. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Simple answer from me - price :smile: I surely can't afford paying $1200 for Panny 45mm f2.8 (that's how much it cost in my country), but I could spend $50 on Canon FD 50mm f3.5 with ext. tube. Also, and this is very subjective, I didn't see a simple macro shot from Panny 45mm f2.8 that would amaze me, as opposite to those from Nikkor and Canon. We can talk about resolution, DOF, sensor size...but at the end of the day the pictures you made are the real matter :smile:

I'm looking forward to some more then. You got some nice triffids growing on your backyard :smile:

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I definitely can see that Vivitar glow...

I have found my Pany 20 focuses close enough for many things, and I just add a +3 close-up diopter/lens/filter for a bit more magnification. I know it "spoils" the optical quality and you certainly don't get the special properties that Vivitar has achieved. The problem is, you really don't notice a change in the quality. The other benefit of closeup diopters is you don't lose light because of magnification.

Attached Files:

11. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Were you using the LCD screen or the LVF? I found that I had a hard time using my GF1 (has since been sold) with just the LCD screen - I was all over the place with any type of zoom lens. I find the G/GH bodies easier and more stable as I mainly use the viewfinder. I'm assuming with face right up front pressing on the camera somewhat, it stabilizes things a bit (just like my old SLR). Now I have a GF2 (didn't learn from my GF1 experience) and find the LVF indispensable.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey Paul,

In California, as the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains, there is a little town named San Andreas. The motto for the city is "San Andreas has no faults."

While I understand some of the technical aspects of digital, for me it is all about the image not the hardware. I fully understand the information you have provided ... but I don't know if it is totally significant. I have a Sigma 20mm f/1.8 and a Canon 16-35 f/2.8, at 100% crop the Canon blows away the Sigma, but holding an 8x10 print from both lenses, they look similarly sharp and detailed. So the lack of resolving power in the 20mm isn't significant at 8x10.

What you are saying is that no commercially available lens can out-resolve or come close to out-resolving a ยต4/3 sensor. And that legacy glass, especially bad/cheap legacy glass isn't even on the playing field ... I believe you and I will keep that in mind ... but this is all an experiment ... and just the beginning of the experiment. I'll probably give away the lens when I'm done.

I also agree that my first snaps do not come close to the resolution from my Pany lenses (14 & 20).

G

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The LVF ... I think the much shorter barrel of the Vivitar means that much less swing will cover a greater arc than with the longer barrels of the Canon lenses ... I hope practice and concentration solves this initial problem. Same thing with the macro ... it was difficult to maintain focus ... and I'm thinking man, I gotta pull out the tripod ... never had this problem with my 50mm and 60mm Canon mount macros.

G

14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Well, sensors are not that fine. Without an antialiasing filter, my E-P1 sensor, at best, would max out at 125 line/mm horizontally and vertically. That is fine, but when you start delving into that number, you can find legacy lenses and especially modern lenses can satisfy that sensor.

But Vivitar won't.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey, a Clematis, I have a few in my yard, are they indigenous to Maine? Never been a big fan of diopters ... but tubes .. maybe ... or a reversing ring for the 20mm ... but now you gotta shoot wide open with the reversing ring.

I much prefer AF over MF ... so I doubt if Legacy and moi have much of a future ... but we'll see ... I'm still open for the right combo of lens and camera.

G

28691986_PWfUk-L.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    No doubt, but again how significant is it to max out ... what can the naked human eye see?

G

17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I don't know if they are indigenous to Maine, but they were to my garden. We have white and purple. Our whites are out now.

Try a diopter, they have a bad rap. They let you AF as well. They just slip in your bag and with the right step-up rings, can fit everyone of your lenses. I don't do macro that much and for me they are nicer than carrying an extra lens. Mine does a really nice job on my 20mm. Cheap does not mean bad. They can actually be better than tubes as many lenses are not designed to focus that close--the diopter allows the lens to accept ray angles the lens was designed for. And no loss of light. AND the price is right.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'm sold! Thanks Hakari.

G

19. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    And you are absolutely right. Many draw conclusions from viewing images at 100% which is never a real condition whether you view on the web or on a print. And so my number is really an extreme "very best case." The truth is somewhere well below that. But 125l/mm is not a really high target--some fine grain film could produce 200l/mm and no one complained about their optics.

20. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Hikari is quite right.
    Now, you Gary are on a slippery path: the hunt for those diopters with the good rap, the achromats. Used Nikon 3T cost as much as legacy macro 50mm, Elpros are, well, Leica and Canon's 500D scarce...