1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

1st Attempt of portrait photoshoot...of my wife :)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by JohnMetsn, Jun 12, 2011.

1. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

...or something like that :wink: I guess proper photoshoot should be done in studio with many lights and many flashes flashing through various umbrellas. I had just Sunday's afternoon Sun, so fighting with shadows was sometimes troublesome, but at least more challenging.

Basically my wife wanted to show to her friends her unexpectedly short haircut after not really understanding well with her hairdresser and I took it as a good reason to go out with my camera again :smile:

I took three lenses (most of my lenses) with me:
    Panny 20mm f1.7
    Panny 45-200mm
    Canon FD 50mm f3.5 S.S.C. Macro

None of them really ideal for portraits. I'm not a huge fan of 20mm and again pictures produced with this lens were the biggest disappointment for me. I had difficulties to keep 45-200 in focus, but those pictures felt much more natural. But after coming back home and browsing pictures in LR, I was completely amazed by pictures from that Canon. Anyway, enough talking, here come some pictures...thank you for watching :smile:

Panasonic 45-200 @ 128mm f5
    [​IMG]

Canon FD 50mm f3.5 S.S.C. Macro @f8
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    great work... only suggestion is look into some reflectors.... even just a sheet of wite foam board to fill in some of the shadows

the 20mm is never going to be a flattering portrait lens

oh and tell the wife she is very pretty.. and I love the haircut :)

K

• Like Like x 2
  3. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Good idea, thank you, I was thinking what would be easy and cheap way to improve that. The only question is, who will be holding those :smile:

And my wife is flattered :wink:

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Ondrej,

Fabulous photos, spectacularly beautiful woman...!

• Like Like x 1
  5. toddsmith23

toddsmith23 Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2011
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    The colorful graffiti in the background really compliments your wife's makeup and sunglasses - very nice work!

• Like Like x 1
  6. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you Alan...well I had good reason to get married young :smile:

Thank you Todd, that's what I was going for :smile:

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Very nice photos, and a very pretty wife :2thumbs:

Personally I like the first and third ones the most.

And as kevinparis mentioned, the 20mm is not a good lens for portraits. I think 40mm is the minimum, while 50mm is a good classic focal length (effectively 100mm 35mm-wise).

The only other thing I would mention is perhaps pulling back more. I'm not usually a fan of cropping the top or sides of a face for portraits, but that's purely a personal preference. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Agree with others -- good first attempt and very pretty wife. Also, very nice she lets you post pics. My wife is pretty, too, but refuses to let me post shots of her.

I like the 3rd one most of all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    A great set, a beautiful wife, and that Canon lens really shines for portrait work. A shot with eye contact would have been nice.... :smile:

P.S. Great haircut, she suits it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you!! :smile:

You're right, 20mm is too wide for portraits. But I wanted to try it for it's declared image quality...and that's where this lens disappointed me, even when I got close enough. This lens are good for its small size and low light capability, but the IQ is just not there for me.

I got few shots from longer distance, but somehow I felt that these close-ups feel more personal :smile:

Thank you :smile: Trust me, that the right selection of pictures was strictly supervised :wink:

Thanks!! :smile: Shots with eye contact were censored :wink:

11. Very pretty lady, great hair cut.

Like many others mentioned a reflector might ease your pains of shooting under the sun. Even better invest in a round collabsable diffuser, you'll never look back. You'll have instant outdoor studio with God's sun.

Now that she wants to pose for you John, you have no excuses, we want to see more photos of her as your model.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you Hera :smile: I'm very happy to receive tip from a Canadian Queen of Studio Portrait Photography :smile:

Just to make it clear for what to put on my photo wishlist, diffuser is something to put between the (Sun)light and the model to soften the light, while reflector is used to bounce the light back to subject eg to emphasize eyes. And as I don't have any assistant to hold those for me, I would have to invest to some stand like this one, right?

[​IMG]

13. I prefere diffuser to reflector at this particular portrait situation. It will kill harsh sun light.

However most cases you can see the model holding reflectors under their face, the sun hits the reflector and beams the light back at the face.

There are two ways operating this. Eigther put your camera on tripod, compose and shoot with a triger and hold the diffuser yourself or, buy more equipment to hold the diffuser.

I like the camera on tripod me holding the diffuser idea better for myself.

Or if you have friends let them hold. hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  14. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

This is a great idea, don't know why it didn't come to my mind, thank you :smile: But it means I'll have to ask my wife to do some actual posing for me...that will be hard :wink:

15. Yes try to direct your subjects.

• Like Like x 1