1st Assignment Shot with only the GF1 kit

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jmacpix, Jan 15, 2011.

1. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Had the opportunity to shoot an assignment using only my GF1 kit yesterday. Usually I have it with me but shoot the "meat" of the assignment with my Canon DSLR system. This time I left the Canons in the car and brought my "fun" cameras and I'm glad I did. Not the most exciting assignment, a stock analyst, but a perfect one for the GF1...

GF1 14mm @ ISO 100 1/40 f2.8

GF1 14mm @ ISO 100 1/40 f2.8

GF1 14mm @ ISO 400 1/30 f2.5

GF1 20mm @ ISO 100 1/50 f2.5

GF1 45mm @ ISO 100 1/50 f2.8

All shot on RAW using available light with slight colour corrections in PS CS4.

• Like Like x 12
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Nice take on the professional use of M43
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It's time you get sent back to the factory. You know you can't do professional work with the GF1....

between you and me tho', ya did great and your right, it's the perfect camera for that assignment.....
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MarkWon

MarkWon Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2010
    Nice work Jeff! I'm surprised the shots in the conference room were not lit with extra lights. It looks like you went with the trio of primes. The shots look great, especially the first!
  5. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Mark!

Yes now that I've got the 14mm I think my kit is complete with two GF1s, 14mm, 20mm, & 45mm.

It was great to be able to work specific lens FOVs and not work the zooms. Traveling light was also a joy.

• Like Like x 5
  6. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

I've had a few questions about the leather straps on my cameras.

These straps are homemade and I prefer them to the strap included with the camera. I find them much more comfortable and they stay in place on my shoulder much better.

They're made from leather purchased from Tandy Leather and trimmed to fit using a strap cutter, but a razor blade will do. The sliders are from some old straps I had in a drawer.

Tandy Leather Factory - Saddle String 1/2" 48" Burgundy

Tandy Leather Factory - Craftool Strap Cutter

Hope that helps.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Very well done! Gives me confidence that my GH2 is up to the task!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Interesting ... don't think I have the huevos to take on a professional job with a 2x crop sensor (there are always exceptions but I think this wouldn't be one of them).

9. Frank Petronio

Frank Petronio New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2011
    Upstate New York
    You probably shot lower points of view because of the LCD, lol.
  10. thomphoto

thomphoto New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    Fantastic job on the portraits. After using the larger format DSLR's and Hasselblad's for 40 years as a studio photographer, now retired, I just bought a GF1 and 20mm, 7-14mm, 14-45mm, and 45-200 lenses, and let me say that I would not hesitate to use it for a professional assignment. Bigger ain't always better is it?
  11. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Too right Thomphoto!

Thanks and welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here and your new GF1 system.

12. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Impressive set of images!
  13. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Thanx Jalex!

And congrats on your win. That is a beautiful image!
  14. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

And the published pix...

• Like Like x 7
  15. pboga

pboga Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2010
    That's pretty awesome!

Great photos and the one published looks really amazing!
  16. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Nice work. Thanks for sharing.
    I enjoy your comment around having a complete kit with the 14, 20 and 45. That's my plan.

Any reaction or comment from the subject of the photo about you not using a "Pro" camera?
  17. markitos

markitos Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    Durham, NC
    I really like the first one--nice work on all of them, though!
  18. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Thanks! The main reason I got the GF1 was to be able to work simple and light. So the three primes are perfect. If I plan to shoot with longer glass I'll use my DSLRs. I find anything bigger than the 45mm on the GF1 doesn't balance right for me.

I did mention to him that I'd brought my "fun cameras" and he said he'd just bought an LX5 for a trip he was taking with this wife and was glad to see a "pro" was using Lumix.
  19. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Jmacpix - very inspiring, even for us non-pros. Go micro 4/3s!!!
  20. michaelfinch

michaelfinch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Jeff - a great result. One question: was the published result on newsprint or coated paper? I ask because I've had no trouble over the years with newsprint but glossy mags can get a bit uppity and say file sizes are way too small for their needs. That might be true for the very highest quality repro demands but for most, in my experience, MFT is absolutely fine. I've had picture desks say they want a minimum of 50MB files and they want them CMYK. They are often ignorant of the way their repro departments actually work.