1980s TV Match-Ups

Alpha Whiskey Photography

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It started out as making some posters as Christmas presents for my friend's little girl. I introduced her to re-runs of the Knight Rider show and she absolutely loves it (what child wouldn't love a car that talks back?) Her favourite episode is one where KITT goes up against a rival, KARR, so I acquired that model to make a couple canvas prints for her room.

Then, of course, some grown ups, undoubtedly inebriated with a heady mix of mulled wine and nostalgia, asked me to make some more match-ups.
Well, supply the models, pay my fee and maybe I will.

So they did, lending me a 1/43 scale (and surprisingly detailed) A-team van and, for some reason, an Apache helicopter (not sure which show that featured in).

Again, all practical sets and surfaces (including real rocks) with just the backgrounds (mostly from my Chile trip) and effects added in post.

Some of these will be made into prints for their office and home.

In spite of the trolls telling me to stop playing with toys I emphasise again that trying to make inanimate objects look dynamic is a good exercise in composition and there’s even a healthy profit in it. Before I shot these I’d just finished a lucrative job for a guy in the US who makes lighting accessories for rally cars. He even bought and posted me the models across the pond to photograph.

Anyway, enjoy some 1980s vehicular carnage. I added the widescreen bars to add the sense of it being on screen.

(These first two images are now canvas prints adorning the bedroom walls of my dear friend's little girl. She is particularly fond of telling her friends that no one else in the world has them or can get them :))

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Rocks, breadcrumbs, foil for the river and a suspended car. Background trees added from my archives.

Last edited:

Andrewmap

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Martin
Nice shots! The first helicopter is from 'Airwolf' (actually a Bell 222 tricked out with extras) but as you say the Apache wasn't (as far as I can remember) in any TV shows! It was at least 10 years after the 'A Team.'

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice shots! The first helicopter is from 'Airwolf' (actually a Bell 222 tricked out with extras) but as you say the Apache wasn't (as far as I can remember) in any TV shows! It was at least 10 years after the 'A Team.'
The A-team was on TV 1983-1987. Airwolf was on TV 1984-1987. Knight Rider 1982-1986. Cheers :)

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Fantastic work as always AWP! Now, where are those behind-the-scenes, "how the sausage is made" images?
Fair question and I do have some base images but they already have the fishing lines that held up the vehicles removed. There's also a video of me sieving breadcrumbs onto a plastic sheet and placing the rocks in front of the sky-blue painted side of the large background board but I can't imagine there's anything to be gleaned from it.
Many thanks! :)

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
These are fantastic!

As a car guy, I know lots of owners that buy the matching die cast of their car. I wonder how many would pay for tricked out shots like these of "their" car. Not to mention a whole world of insane model builders.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
These are fantastic!

As a car guy, I know lots of owners that buy the matching die cast of their car. I wonder how many would pay for tricked out shots like these of "their" car. Not to mention a whole world of insane model builders.
A few owners have indeed paid me, supplying the model of their own car. That's just one corner of this particular market. Owners want to see their cars in scenarios that they wouldn't dare to enact for real :)
Cheers.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Keep getting requests for these. They sell well (nostalgia always does) but creatively it's becoming a little too routine.... :whistling:

Last edited:
Great thread, albeit with a notable omission .... :hmmm:

Talk about nostalgia! I remember watching these shows with my grandmother, she really liked KITT (asked me if I would build her one when I became an engineer) and always got a laugh from B.A. Baracus' gold chains! :biggrin:

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Great thread, albeit with a notable omission .... :hmmm:

View attachment 732157

Talk about nostalgia! I remember watching these shows with my grandmother, she really liked KITT (asked me if I would build her one when I became an engineer) and always got a laugh from B.A. Baracus' gold chains! :biggrin:
I never watched the Dukes but it's a great car and I get a few requests for it. Apparently they got through hundreds of Dodge Chargers on the show from doing all the jumps. Maybe I'll pick one up and do a set with it. :)

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the front page feature. Here's one I made to be a poster for an Airwolf fan:

I also made a couple of images with me interacting with the helicopter but I'm planning a separate post later about inserting real people with toys/scale models.
Here's a taster:

Cheers.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom