1976 test of 35mm "Normal Lenses"

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian S, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Useful information for comparing lenses from the "Silver Age" of Photography.

I suspect some of you missed this 1976 Pop Photo Issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
  3. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    [​IMG]

Remember- on a u4/3rds camera, the performance over the center 2/3rds is all that needs to be considered. Note that T-Stops are given. Some lenses have a Smaller difference between F-Stop and T-Stop, mostly due to the use of Multi-Coated optics. Note also that some manufacturers marked Max F-Stop differs from the actual measured F-Stop. Like the Olympus "F1.2" lens is really an "F1.3" lens. They Cheated.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Excellent info and if you delve into it all 50/1.4 are great at f2.8 out to 2/3 resolution wise, which is 43 coverage.

No real duds but one may prefer a particular brand for other reasons

The Leica seem on par with the others no better, of course the late 60's early 70's exploded with great lenses from Japan.

5. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The Summilux and Summicron were the top performers for their groups, F1.4 and F2, respectively. The bars allow you to see performance across the group, the dot of the bar is performance for the individual lens. The interesting one is the AsphericF1.2 Noctilux, either the best of the group or worst of the group depending on Zone. The optical engineer that worked for me would cite "Not enough precision" in the polynomial for the "wiggle".

6. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    now this is something that I've been wanting to see for a long time: a review direct from the time these famous manual 50's were made

thanks for sharing!

7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Ah the dot is the individual lens result ... I misunderstood :wink:
    at full aperture / center the Nocktilux and Summilux are tops

8. tamoio

tamoio Mu-43 Regular

I would be a little skeptical about the methodology of those tests. This was the sort of bread-and-butter stuff all the photo mags had to produce back in the day.

In the 80s I worked in a Motion Picture camera rental house and we tested a lot of lenses in our spare time, we generally found more significant variation between different samples of the same lens than between two different brands.

9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  10. Pat Donnelly

Pat Donnelly New to Mu-43

Apr 17, 2010
  11. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I am more skeptical of test done these days with "subjective evaluation" rather than giving actual measurements. Actual measured F-Stop will not vary between samples. There are variations between samples, but not as much between samples of some manufacturers. I have Ten 5cm F1.4 S-Mount lenses, all are good. I've taken pictures with over 50 Jupiter-3 50/1.5's in Leica Mount. They vary from as good as a Nikkor or Zeiss lens to "passable at F4".