1973: How many brands of 24x36mm interchangeable lens reflex cameras?

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Many of those brands and the 70s to 80s diversity was based on standardized parts across brands, and fronting (1 manufacturer making multiple brands). I believe only 3 companies (Seiko being one) made shutters. Only 2 made irises. Oculars and prisms were by 3 or 4 companies. In-house was design, assembly, and sales. Also, the vast majority of the R&D in the industry—and profits—was on the film and processing side.

Brands could be niche and boutique back then because they could exploit small difference in mechanical design or use. Today, the "smart" in chip tech and software uniquely renders hardware diversification problematic. We have more apps processing photos than brands providing optical components.

I've owned 8 of those brands. I notice Kodak isn't on that list.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Then, finally, made in Japan, by Yashica/Kyocera under license from Zeiss Ikon AG (until 2005), who still owns the trademark.

It's even stranger than this. Zeiss Ikon AG was a West German unit of Carl Zeiss AG. This Ikon eventually specialized in locks in 1970's and was sold to Finnish Wärtsilä in 1989. Today it's part of Assa Abloy and known as simply "Ikon".

Carl Zeiss AG who owned and sold said Zeiss Ikon AG, is the owner of Contax brand. There sure is no short supply of companies with Zeiss on their name.

East German company was "VEB Zeiss Ikon" but name was changed to VEB Kinowerke Dresden in 1958 to due to dispute about brand ownership.

Last edited:

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've owned 8 of those brands. I notice Kodak isn't on that list.

Kodak built their leaf shutter Retina Reflex 35mm SLRs in Stuttgart, Germany alongside their Retina RF cameras. They even used the same lenses! The last model was the Retina Reflex IV which went out of production in 1967. They then used the same lens mount for the Kodak Instamatic Reflex, a mutant Retina Reflex that used 126 film from 1968. That was discontinued in 1970 (except in the USA where it remained available until 1974) which is why Kodak is not on the list of 35mm SLRs.

Real Name
Andrew L
Zeiss would do well to resurrect the Contax brand with a high-end film camera that appeals to the fashion-conscious, all they would need is for all of the inevitable free press by photo news sites likening it to the T2 and other luxury Contax models of yore which currently command insane prices (for P&S cameras) due to their popularity with celebs.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Zeiss would do well to resurrect the Contax brand with a high-end film camera that appeals to the fashion-conscious, all they would need is for all of the inevitable free press by photo news sites likening it to the T2 and other luxury Contax models of yore which currently command insane prices (for P&S cameras) due to their popularity with celebs.
And this time it'll probably be made in China!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
It's even stranger than this. Zeiss Ikon AG was a West German unit of Carl Zeiss AG. This Ikon eventually specialized in locks in 1970's and was sold to Finnish Wärtsilä in 1989. Today it's part of Assa Abloy and known as simply "Ikon".

Carl Zeiss AG who owned and sold said Zeiss Ikon AG, is the owner of Contax brand. There sure is no short supply of companies with Zeiss on their name.

East German company was "VEB Zeiss Ikon" but name was changed to VEB Kinowerke Dresden in 1958 to due to dispute about brand ownership.
A whole lotta Zeisses out there ?

Latest threads

Top Bottom