1967 Jupiter-3 on the EP2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian S, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    This is a "back-hack" lens, left over from converting a Sonnar to Leica mount.

So the J-3 optics gets made into Contax mount. Then into an Amedeo Adapter, onto the EP2 via Leica M adapter.

Wide-Open

[​IMG]

At F4:

[​IMG]

F1.5:

[​IMG]

F4
    [​IMG]

The ZOMZ J-3's are a bit softer than the earlier KMZ J-3's, at least in my experience. This 1967 J-3 is perfect glass, and is better than many 1960s J-3's that I have used.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian,
    Very nice. The J's have a certain way of drawing that is unmatched by other lenses. Not that they are the best...but they just translate light like no other. I love what you do with them...
    Don

• Like Like x 2
  3. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    very nice! I had one of those at one time. Nice not having to collimate lenses for an EVIL camera, eh?

4. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Those photos are brilliant! I really like the results you are getting!
    Where did you get a lens like that?

5. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    J-3's are available on Ebay, go anywhere from $50 to $200, depending on the year and condition. This one was in the $70 range. The most popular these days are the Leica Thread Mount version, but they are made to a slightly different standard focal length than what the Leica is calibrated for. So, as Joe Friday knows, I modify them to work with a Leica. That step is not required for a u43 camera.

6. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    My mission in the photographic world is to make J-3's work with RF's. Or at least yank the optics out and replace them with Zeiss glass....