1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

1964 Receipt for a camera

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Mike G, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    While sorting out some books for a lady friend, I came across this receipt for my first 35mm SLR an EXA 11B.
    It had an extensive shutter speed range of 1sec to 1/250! I would think the lens was a 50mm.

Receipt.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Receipts in those days needed a 2 Pence stamp affixed to make the legal!

Those were the days!

• Like Like x 9
    • Wow Wow x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    That's the best part of £2,000 in today's prices, Mike!!

3. Yes, but at least they threw the case in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andrewmap

Andrewmap Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Derby, United Kingdom
    Martin
    Ye, Gods, Mike! I thought it looked like stamp duty; £15 in todays money is about £290! My first camera cost me £109 in 1978: a Praktika MTL5.
    Edit: MTL3 not MTL5 memory not what it...something!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Is it really? I remember the EXA weighing an absolute ton!

6. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Standard practice to include the case in those days Richard.

7. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    And you traded in a Komaflex S medium format. I'm guessing you wanted something more portable and (possibly?) lighter even then.

8. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    The Komaflex was of the 127 film size! it had a fixed lens, with wide and tele adapters. I was dazzled by the thought of owning an SLR, it was certainly not lighter!

The bees knees at the time was an Exacta Varex 11A, out of my price range. EXA was made by the same company!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I got that calc wrong, the estimate was for £100 converted. I was earning just under £4 a week in 1964, I was an apprentice.

• Like Like x 1
  10. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve

I should've divided by 4 :oops: 

11. Andrewmap

Andrewmap Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Derby, United Kingdom
    Martin
    I was 5 and had just started school!:cool: 

• Like Like x 1
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I had to Google the Exa II. (In my defense, I was 6 at the time and still using Kodak.) Back in the day, SLRs were luxury items and had a small group of potential customers. Stores wanted to be nice to them. With the DSLR boom back in the "Noughties", the companies got used to higher volumes. They are readjusting now, but we're still not special yet again (if ever).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. In 1964 I was still a twinkle in my dad's eye ;) . My first real camera was a Praktika MTL3 which was built like a brick and weighed about as much. This was quite find and I'm sure bought back many memories.

14. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    I recall the Exa IIB selling for $50 at NYC dealers in 1966 with the 50/2.8 Meyer Domiplan lens. As a 12 year old, $50 might as well have been $5,000. The accessory 100/2.8 "bokeh monster" (read really, really soft) Meyer Trioplan lens that was reissued for $$$$$$$ was only $30, all of us geezers should have stocked up back then.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSR147mr8WldiarOd8TcNTXmQo-GNqleKSzQHDHZiAY0voLbkaJ.jpg

Wasn't the Primotar a manual diaphragm lens? Ah, back when men were men.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Not sure, but I don’t think it had the little lever, so presumedly it was manual! He says with a deep voice. :bravo-009:

16. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    What I actually found was a photo of the receipt, not the actual receipt.

17. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

You've added an extra zero. Prices have generally inflated about 10-11x since the mid 60's.

£25 seems pretty cheap for a camera. But I also remember my Grandpa telling me his first Architect job out of Grad school in the late 50's he made barely more than a $1 an hour.

18. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I know :)  I mentioned that I forgot to divide by 4 above.

inflation.JPG

19. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I’ve still got an m42 Pentax from about the same era (I think it’s an SV, can’t remember without digging it out of the attic). It was bought by a relative who put one film through it then put it away and never used it again. He gave it to me in about 1984, but I only put a couple of rolls through it as it did not have a built in light meter, unlike my Praktika. Can’t say I’ve got the receipt though - that’s brilliant! My Praktika was a kit, camera, 50mm, 28mm, and 70-200 zoom. The whole lot cost about £200 in 1983, but my parents got mine second hand for half that.

20. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    Your receipt made me think about inflation, it isn't quite that simple as throwing an inflation calculating tool at it. Decent cameras were out of most peoples reach in the mid 1960s, I think I knew one person with a decent camera. I suppose £25 on 1964 was just over the average skilled adults weekly wage, consumerism was nothing like it is today. So the money isn't far off today's prices. Put that calculator to work on house prices, and it's a million miles away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.