1964 Receipt for a camera

Mike G

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Gorman
While sorting out some books for a lady friend, I came across this receipt for my first 35mm SLR an EXA 11B.
It had an extensive shutter speed range of 1sec to 1/250! I would think the lens was a 50mm.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Receipts in those days needed a 2 Pence stamp affixed to make the legal!

Those were the days!

Real Name
Steve
While sorting out some books for a lady friend, I came across this receipt for my first 35mm SLR an EXA 11B.
It had an extensive shutter speed range of 1sec to 1/250! I would think the lens was a 50mm.

View attachment 738782

Those were the days!
That's the best part of £2,000 in today's prices, Mike!!

Andrewmap

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Martin

View attachment 738782

Those were the days!
Ye, Gods, Mike! I thought it looked like stamp duty; £15 in todays money is about £290! My first camera cost me £109 in 1978: a Praktika MTL5.
Edit: MTL3 not MTL5 memory not what it...something!

Last edited:

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
And you traded in a Komaflex S medium format. I'm guessing you wanted something more portable and (possibly?) lighter even then.

Mike G

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Gorman
And you traded in a Komaflex S medium format. I'm guessing you wanted something more portable and (possibly?) lighter even then.
The Komaflex was of the 127 film size! it had a fixed lens, with wide and tele adapters. I was dazzled by the thought of owning an SLR, it was certainly not lighter!

The bees knees at the time was an Exacta Varex 11A, out of my price range. EXA was made by the same company!

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I had to Google the Exa II. (In my defense, I was 6 at the time and still using Kodak.) Back in the day, SLRs were luxury items and had a small group of potential customers. Stores wanted to be nice to them. With the DSLR boom back in the "Noughties", the companies got used to higher volumes. They are readjusting now, but we're still not special yet again (if ever).

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I recall the Exa IIB selling for $50 at NYC dealers in 1966 with the 50/2.8 Meyer Domiplan lens. As a 12 year old, $50 might as well have been $5,000. The accessory 100/2.8 "bokeh monster" (read really, really soft) Meyer Trioplan lens that was reissued for $$$$$$$ was only $30, all of us geezers should have stocked up back then.

Wasn't the Primotar a manual diaphragm lens? Ah, back when men were men.

Mike G

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Gorman
I recall the Exa IIB selling for $50 at NYC dealers in 1966 with the 50/2.8 Meyer Domiplan lens. As a 12 year old, $50 might as well have been $5,000. The accessory 100/2.8 "bokeh monster" (read really, really soft) Meyer Trioplan lens that was reissued for $$$$$$$ was only $30, all of us geezers should have stocked up back then.

View attachment 738820

Wasn't the Primotar a manual diaphragm lens? Ah, back when men were men.
Not sure, but I don’t think it had the little lever, so presumedly it was manual! He says with a deep voice. :bravo-009:

tkbslc

Super Moderator
That's the best part of £2,000 in today's prices, Mike!!
You've added an extra zero. Prices have generally inflated about 10-11x since the mid 60's.

£25 seems pretty cheap for a camera. But I also remember my Grandpa telling me his first Architect job out of Grad school in the late 50's he made barely more than a $1 an hour.

Real Name
Steve
You've added an extra zero. Prices have generally inflated about 10-11x since the mid 60's.

£25 seems pretty cheap for a camera. But I also remember my Grandpa telling me his first Architect job out of Grad school in the late 50's he made barely more than a $1 an hour.
I know :) I mentioned that I forgot to divide by 4 above.

Real Name
Rob
I’ve still got an m42 Pentax from about the same era (I think it’s an SV, can’t remember without digging it out of the attic). It was bought by a relative who put one film through it then put it away and never used it again. He gave it to me in about 1984, but I only put a couple of rolls through it as it did not have a built in light meter, unlike my Praktika. Can’t say I’ve got the receipt though - that’s brilliant! My Praktika was a kit, camera, 50mm, 28mm, and 70-200 zoom. The whole lot cost about £200 in 1983, but my parents got mine second hand for half that.

Real Name
Steve
Your receipt made me think about inflation, it isn't quite that simple as throwing an inflation calculating tool at it. Decent cameras were out of most peoples reach in the mid 1960s, I think I knew one person with a decent camera. I suppose £25 on 1964 was just over the average skilled adults weekly wage, consumerism was nothing like it is today. So the money isn't far off today's prices. Put that calculator to work on house prices, and it's a million miles away.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom