1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

1940's style

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Iansky, May 6, 2013.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Went to a 1940's event yesterday and grabbed some H&S shots, the first one is my wife who likes the era and does hairstyles & makeup from that era.

The other two ladies were attending the event and Sharon was serving tea & cakes out of a 1940's caravan!

The 45mm is a stunning lens for this type of work.

Lady_She.

[​IMG]

Sharon.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Beautiful! :2thumbs:

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I love these types of events! :smile:

4. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Flo
    Let’s offer to those beautiful ladies, a rose from that era too.

Attached Files:

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks all,

These events are fun and hassle free with everyone smiling and willing to pose / be photographed so they are a photographers dream.

A few more events still to come this year so no doubt the OMD will be working hard.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Ian - where are these things? I'm sure the kids would enjoy it as a day out too.

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Absolutely stunning pics Ian :2thumbs::2thumbs:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Where are they

Hi Paul,

This one was in Evesham but there are more coming up between now and end of Sep.

I live in Gloucestershire and we have just had a great one at Toddington just between Cheltenham / Evesham, over 300 re-enactors were there and great photo day - images can be seen at link below:

571 Photography

There are still events to come in Laycock and also at the old steam railway in Blunsdon near Swindon.

I am sure if you google vintage events you will find something closer to home but a great day for the kids and a photographers dream.

Good luck,
    Ian

9. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    Hi Ian

Great photos! I couldn't get the 45mm to work for me at all (I know, it's a bad workman and all that) - your photos have made me question my decision to get rid of it.

Looks like a fun event too.

Cheers,

/g

10. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Wish they had events like that here...all we get is people walking around with tee shirts saying "I'm with stupid" and an arrow pointing up.

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Oh Yeah

LOL, we get plenty of those here as well.

Re-enacting has always been popular in the UK and appears to be growing each year, there are more events and often focussed around old steam railways when the theme is 1940's.

It allows us all to escape the reality of todays challenges, meet likeminded people and have harmless fun that provides entertainment for others and a learning experience for children.

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thank you Ian - very helpful.

13. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    I saw a documentary on RT TV (yes folks I watch Russia TV, better'n Faux Newz) about the EU's fascination with war re-enactment. Is this what we are talking about here? These people are collecting tanks and guns, uniforms and bazookas, acting out war scenarios of WWII, the big one...

14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Pretty much, there are many variants from medieval up to 1960's rockabilly and all are very dedicated to authenticity.

There is any increasing number of younger people getting involved as well as they love the fashions / styles and items from the respective era they concentrate on, it is not unusual to find an event that covers all from the American Civil War through 1940's with Brit, Russian, German, uniforms to the 1960's teddy boys/mods and it serves as an education process for many of the yound children of today who can see the reality of speed of evolvement as technology increases.

Nuts they certainly are not, their passion is harmless and educational and people who attend do so by choice.

All weapons are deactivated, safe and have appropriate certification to prove it, they cannot be easily re engineered to make them active either and the people who own them tend not to be the type that would attempt that sort of action.

It is pure harmless fun that provides entertainment and knowledge to many youngsters, and often memories to many older people who are happy to talk about their experiences.

This makes it a good thing involving sharing people so please do not ridicule something you have not experienced in person/just seen on a TV programme!

15. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Sorry, deleted "nuts". Was a personal opinion.
    As I said before, having experienced war, I cannot agree with re-living it. It is a personal opinion, of course, but to me, war kills innocent people, makes lots of $$$$ for the extreme wealthy, is nearly always about oil, and does nothing but consume. Everything.
    To aggrandize war, socializing it, make a party out of it, an excuse for a drunk, whatever, doesn't work for me.
    If this is "harmless entertainment" for the young, consider what you are educating them in...
    I have "experienced" the real thing in person, and don't wish to carry out a re-living of those parts of my life.
    No wonder the world is as F'd up as it is.
    Have fun...

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Snap

I have also experienced combat during my time in the military, seen comrades killed and been wounded myself, but, I do not perceive in any way people who re-enact the uniforms of the time as advocating or celebrating war in any way, it is not an excuse for a party or drunken celebration and I come back to my point, what may have been portrayed (obviously incorrectly) in a television programme is not the reality and it seems that your perception from that programme has been very wrong.

These events cover the 1940's & earlier and not those campaigns since them, as such they were not related to oil but more to power and control.

The events do not educate on the art of war or killing,they display the uniforms (of all sides to include the differences in materials/manufacturing) as well as the technology of the day to include communications / transport as well as weapons, they also show the part played by non combatants who supported the country during those years by way of working the land, working in manufacturing and delivering aircraft etc.

I have met people at these events who have been willing to discuss their experiences of the time in relation to the equipment displayed and in no way has this glorified war in any way.

Please do not perceive these events as replicating movies that glorify war/conflict they are at the other end of the spectrum and educate in the hope people will be more aware of the weapons used, hard times experienced and misery created by war!

The most important part of all this is the right to choose to attend such events, many do and leave with a better understanding of those days than before they arrived.

17. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    We can disagree.
    Before you criticize the doc, maybe you should see it. I see re-enactment of war, with injured and dead, shooting, all of it, not display of uniforms.

War & Peace Roads — RT Documentary

Of course, some folks say war video games don't hurt children either...
    It's your world, go for it. I've pretty much checked out of it.

18. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Haans, I have a feeling you are talking about two different levels of re-enactment. One is the public "demo" level, which I have a feeling is what Iansky was shooting (everyone gets dressed up, acts "in character", etc. but without war-enacting, just the setting it happens to be in), vs. private events where people re-enact specific battles, with black-powder effects and all. I have been part of re-enactment for a while, and both have their places.

19. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Looked at the RT one and their description:
    "For the past 30 years the War and Peace show in Kent, England has served as an exhibition of military vehicles and a forum for reenactment of armed conflicts witnessed in the 20th century."

As per Cruzan's comments above, the re-enactment I attend are predominantly static events and not events that put on mock battles.

This is a perfect example of a TV documentary creating a false impression and allowing the viewer to tar anyone associated with the title "re-enactment" with the wrong brush due to limited knowledge.

I trust that in future you will make an effort to understand the variances between these type of events before making vitriolic attacks on those involved.

Perhaps we can get back to the aim of this site and discuss photography rather than semantics.

20. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    love those pics - what camera did you use?