1873 SAA First Draft...

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Zariell, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Working on a bit of an idea, wanted an old western look to my SAA, as the beginning of the idea its a bit rough, I'm still working out the kinks.

Taken with my 45 2.8.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great idea. I would add a slight sepia tone to it. Perhaps back off a bit on the blur, at least on the lower frame of the gun{just under the cylinder}. I am also not a huge fan of the border you added, doesn't quite fit the old photo look. I would add an old style frame like used on period tin-types, something like the one below.
    stock-photo-1201241-tintype-vintage-frame.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Aces and Eights, the dead man's hand - sweet! Lost me on the acronym though - SAA?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    1878 Single Action Army, otherwise known as the peacemaker :p

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Outstanding composition! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Aaah - it's all clear now, thanks!:cool:

7. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I'm not overly happy with it as yet, the elements are there but not quite polished, I really want the full revolver to be in the frame, and I not happy with the top right, I am probably going to need to put the set on the floor so I can get farther from the camera without being even taller than I already am :p

8. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I've also been known to call it my third child :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    One of the most unique features of the The Colt Single Action Army — also known as the Model P, Peacemaker, M1873, Single Action Army (SAA) is the grip. When depicted in a photograph, the grip needs to be visible to distinguish it from the Bisley model which was made between 1894 and 1915.

When in a photo, I believe the image should contain well worn leather and a few .45 Long Colt cartridges with the 230-255 grain lead round nose bullet that was concurrently developed with this revolver.