1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

1873 SAA First Draft...

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Zariell, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Working on a bit of an idea, wanted an old western look to my SAA, as the beginning of the idea its a bit rough, I'm still working out the kinks.

Taken with my 45 2.8.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great idea. I would add a slight sepia tone to it. Perhaps back off a bit on the blur, at least on the lower frame of the gun{just under the cylinder}. I am also not a huge fan of the border you added, doesn't quite fit the old photo look. I would add an old style frame like used on period tin-types, something like the one below.
    stock-photo-1201241-tintype-vintage-frame.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Aces and Eights, the dead man's hand - sweet! Lost me on the acronym though - SAA?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    1878 Single Action Army, otherwise known as the peacemaker :p

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Outstanding composition! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Aaah - it's all clear now, thanks!:cool:

7. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I'm not overly happy with it as yet, the elements are there but not quite polished, I really want the full revolver to be in the frame, and I not happy with the top right, I am probably going to need to put the set on the floor so I can get farther from the camera without being even taller than I already am :p

8. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I've also been known to call it my third child :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    One of the most unique features of the The Colt Single Action Army — also known as the Model P, Peacemaker, M1873, Single Action Army (SAA) is the grip. When depicted in a photograph, the grip needs to be visible to distinguish it from the Bisley model which was made between 1894 and 1915.

When in a photo, I believe the image should contain well worn leather and a few .45 Long Colt cartridges with the 230-255 grain lead round nose bullet that was concurrently developed with this revolver.