1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

1857 images in a single G2 battery charge (!)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by arpoador, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I know, it sounds implausible.

The Panasonic G2 battery is rated for 390 shots, but I regularly get 400-500. That even seems odd because I always use the screen instead of trying to peek through the little hole. (Unless it's very bright & sunny, and the viewfinder is the less bad of two unfortunate options.)

So...
    I put the G2 on a tripod, hooked up my intervalometer, tilted the screen so that I could see it from where I would be walking and sitting, and let it go. I had the camera set to Aperture mode, and the adapted Nikon lens cranked down to f/11. (I wanted to see stars.) I was shooting Large JPEGs at 9:16 ratio.* These were downsized (and otherwise unedited) in Lightroom.

I started shooting at 5-second intervals, and left the screen on. As night fell, the camera reached a 5-second exposure, which immediately doubled the interval (the G2 takes 5 more seconds to process a 5-second exposure), and then continued to increase, so the movement speeds up.

But here's the catch: I thought the images had grown static an boring, but I left it running when I realized I already had over 800 images. It stopped at 1857. That's an unusual situation, no doubt, but still an impressive number of images with one charge!

Here's the video: [ame="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150152868206660"][click here][/ame]
    Note: It's in HD 1080p, if you click through to facebook to watch it.

It's not a particularly interesting video (I'm still just experimenting with the whole thing) but it does illustrate how much the lowly G2 can do.

* Large JPEGs was an intermediate step. I had been shooting RAW, then switched to JPEG for one-step import into QuickTime - only to discover that this generated humongous files. I'm now shooting Small JPEGs.

2. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    I think the batteries will run a lot longer during an a single interval based session than when a camera is turned on and off a lot. I have a done a few HD time lapse videos with a P&S Fujifilm A235 camera and it will do close to 1000 images on single set of rechargeable AA batteries. As you mentioned, if the images are to be used for HD video composition, 3MP resolution is just fine since it can be cropped down to 1920x1080.

3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

More than 50% of the power consumed is taken by the LCD panel. I've found that you can increase battery life substantially by doing two simple things:

1. Turn off the LCD panel when possible
    2. Take your picture and turn the camera off. Look at your photos when you get home!

May I ask you two questions?
    What intervolometer do you use
    What software did you use to combine the individual shots into video?

4. The intervalometer is a JJC that I bought last summer on eBay. It's the second one I bought from them. The first one had a different tip for my E-P2, so it went to my brother with the E-P2. :)
    LCD Timer Remote Control panasonic G1 GF1 GH1 +GIFT - eBay (item 350441345688 end time Mar-21-11 11:07:25 PDT)
    It's currently going for US$ 35, including shipping.

The software is Quicktime 7. I couldn't figure out how to do it in the new Quicktime, so I found and downloaded the older version.

Just do File/Open Image Sequence... and point to the first image in the set. It doesn't give you a lot of options, but you can crop it before saving, and there are some export options (which seem to degrade the quality a lot - I haven't figured those out yet).

It gives you an option to choose a timing, so at first I got greedy and chose 60 fps. The problem is that everything moves very quickly then, so it gets hard to see. This clip is captured with 5 second intervals (doubling and then continuing to increase after dark, as I describe above), and then composited at 24 fps.