180-degree shutter rule: for travel?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by jpcairns, May 27, 2013.

1. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I am wondering just how critical you find the 180 degree shutter rule is when travelling. The reason I ask is that, while I do have a variable ND filter, I am simply a hobbyist and do a lot of still image shots when travelling. Constantly using a variable ND filter and adjusting it, and making sure I am following the 180 degree shutter rule is simply too much of a pain in the ***, especially when you want to film those "candid" moments and not piss off the significant other by playing around with the camera. Also, I enjoy just being able to use the depth of field I want without adjusting everything for each clip I film.

In summary: do you find the 180 degree shutter rule still critical for video quality when the output is simply travel videos? They won't quite be your average "home-made" video, but rather a good quality travel video.
  2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Why not shoot some footage of yourself with varying shutter speeds and see? Only you can know what level of quality you will be happy with.
  3. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Bravin Neff
    Actually, I don't find it critical at all. I shoot video with the EM5 all the time, and at 30P video, the 180 degree shutter rule says I should be at 1/60. Yet I have varied it as low as 1/30 to as high as 1/125 and all I notice is a difference in exposure. I notice nothing like what I'm "supposed" to be noticing. I think it has something to do with the fact that sequential-line-readout video is quite different from mechanical, 180 degree shutters. They don't seem alike at all.
  4. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Had the same question and perfofmed the number of tests - I was basically shooting myself running and walking in front of the camera at various shutter speeds. The best results I got were with 1/60 (or 1/50 when indoors due to the european circuits). The video looks natural and has that cinematic look with very soft motion. I didn't note much difference with going a bit higher (1/80, for example). However, everything higher than 1/100 starts having that strobing, sharp and digitally artificial look. So, for video work I try to stay in the limits of 1/50-1/80 (preferring the 1/60). At the moment I got the variable ND2-400 fader filter which allows you to shoot video at 1/60 with decent dof even outdoors.
  5. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I think footage looks weird, unnatural and cheap when not using a fairly slow shutter speed. Bear in mind that sharpness isn't so critical when shooting video, so you can stop the aperture way down to get the shutter speed you want, when travelling with my GF1 I have shot sometimes at f/16-22 just so it didn't look poopy, and I didn't care about DOF at the time. I don't have any ND filters because I'm not a super serious video shooter.