1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

17th Mu-43 Salon Competition - Signs of Life (ends Jan 18!)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by feilb, Jan 8, 2013.

1. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    For those of us in less than tropical climates, the time following the holidays represents a long slog until spring :smile:.

For this competition, we'll center around a theme of:

"Signs of Life"

Feel free to interpret around the theme. May the best photo win!

-Brandon

---------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. Shots can be uploaded from any gallery, Mu43 or whatever is your preference.

3. To enter your photo after uploading, copy the code in the Linked Image box and paste it into a reply to to this message. You can use the Quick Reply box at the bottom of this page.

4. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you intend doing.

5. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

6. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Mu-43 Contests and Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. That opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

7. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

8. Please, donĀ“t be shy...Participate and have fun.

9. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

2. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    New Life

This week, on my daily walk through field and wood. Wild turkey scratching for food, in the local woods, uncovered these "March Lilies" (local name). Usually the first blooms in Spring. (Still a great way off!)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. snkenai

Sep 5, 2010
    What? No new life, any where?

4. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Not in my neck of the woods (at least in the traditional sense). It's midwinter, and nothing will be stirring here for another 6 weeks.

5. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    It's the middle of winter here and I figured I'd have to pass on this but then remembered that I often see signs in the snow, so figured, with no snow, I might still search around and find some. This was what I came across yesterday morning, with the OM-D and 12-55 kit lens. The frost was obviously heavy on the deer bed and the trail leading from it also had a bit of 'glow' in the early light. I chose to edit in B&W, since the sunrise glow kind of over powered the point of the photo.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Great work!

Dig into those archives, all, and lets get some more entries in here!

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Here's my entry, from an abandoned Diner near our house. I liked this one for the theme because it's this derelict old building (no signs of life), yet overrun by nature and a different form of life reclaiming the space.

G3 + 7-14mm
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/7491561990/" title="Derelict Diner by jloden, on Flickr"> 7491561990_4a5a44e296_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Derelict Diner"></a>

EDIT: sorry about the second entry post earlier - I got confused with the Salon vs. 72hr challenges and posted 2 in this thread originally :redface:

• Like Like x 4
  8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This was shot at bus engine grave yard

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/73403162@N00/8383686615/" title="P1060320-Edit-Edit.jpg by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8383686615_9350636b8e_b. "1024" height="768" alt="P1060320-Edit-Edit.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 6
  9. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    7619266774_4b6e7d8244_b.
    colonization 2 by foxtail_1, on Flickr

In the caldera on the Kilauea Iki Trail at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Plants that can grow in volcanic cinders colonize cracks in the lava rock.

• Like Like x 2
  10. mlapinel

mlapinel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    A sign of life in the gray woods from last spring.
    P4040862.

• Like Like x 1
  11. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    < bad pun >Looks like this thread is showing signs of life< /bad pun >
    Keep 'em coming!

12. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Didn't mean to kill it with a bad joke! Entries open til tomorrow evening when I'll judge and post winners.

13. snkenai

Sep 5, 2010
    Which tomorrow?

14. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    It's antarctic cold here! No signs of spring for 2-3 mos. Thinkin' of goin' to see moms in New Orleans though! Could be life there!:biggrin:

15. snkenai

Sep 5, 2010
    Looks dead here too, but if you look close enough, there are a few, VERY small bits here and there. Usually sheltered, leaf or trash covered,and trying to break through when we have a couple of slightly warmer days.
    I thought Feilb, was going to pick a favorite on the 18th.