17mm PRO or 25mm PRO for Singapore?

VSTR61

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Vic
I've sold off some gear and I've found myself where I can afford a new PRO lens for my collection. I'm off to Singapore next week for six days and I intended to take the 8mm PRO, 12-40 PRO, 45 PRO, and the 75mm f/1.8 to cover my favourite FL's I would normally shoot on the full frame; 16-35-85-135.

I wondered if the 17 or 25 might be a more interesting selection to replace the zoom lens? I'm guessing the 17 would be the obvious choice but does the 25 have something to offer that I'm missing?

adammaniam

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi Vic.

I'm from Singapore and I would recommend having the 12-40 with you. We have a pretty interesting city and having the zoom would be useful in my view. Set out below are some shots (unfortunately low-res, downloaded from Facebook) that I've taken with the 12-40. Last shot is a pananoramic stitch.

P.S. We are experiencing some haze at the moment due to fires in Indonesia so I suggest you read up and prepare for that just in case (bring masks, be prepared for lack of blue skies etc).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ray
It’s a very personal choice but my go to street and city kit is 17mm plus 45mm 1.2, with the 17mm being my all time favourite lens ever. Personally I find 25mm too tight in cities but others will have the exact opposite preference. It really comes down to your preferred FL. The Pro primes are stunning!

VSTR61

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Vic
To be honest, I'll likely pack most of my lenses and just take a few when leaving the hotel each day. The 12-40 PRO is the best all-round zoom I've ever used but I've bought the 17mm PRO as it will be more suitable for the street and have the extra couple of stops of light I'm always chasing.

I have an ebay 20% voucher which made the lenses quite the bargain right now.

VSTR61

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Vic
If you like primes the 25mm is sublime, it renders files beautifully
Get thee behind me, Gilly: thou art a mischief unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of good financial sense, but for me to reach the pinnacle of my credit card and drop me in the poo with ‘er indoors!

She's been known to smite me down for lesser offences.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You see, you’ve got it all wrong :).

In order to get the most out of it, you need the PL 12 F/1.4 and the Oly Pro 25, and just get rid of the 12-40 Pro :).

Slightly more seriously, although I do have the 12-40 myself, I only rarely use it. It is a good lens, but not in the same league as the primes. For city work, I’d rather bring the 7-14 Pro.

So there you have it: to cover the wide end up to about 25-30 mm, either the PL 12 plus Oly Pro 25, or the Oly 7-14 Pro and the Oly 25 Pro :).

Personally I have chosen for the 7-14 Pro and the 25 Pro, still holding out for the Oly 12 F/1.2 Pro that was rumored a few years ago, but the 7-14 Pro is IMO a better lens than the 12-40 Pro, and the 25 Pro is indeed a magical lens :).

Sorry to have made your choices even more complex :).

Kind regards, Wim

MMouse

Mu-43 Regular
Just bought the 17mm f/1,2 and it's sharpness is amazing.
I think it's worth the upgrade over the 17mm f/1,8.

One lens you may consider if you're attracted by the 25mm is the 30mm f/1,4 Sigma. Some people say it's the same quality as the 25mm f/1,2. Had both, it's definitely not. But the Sigma is a bargain for the price with quite good bokeh. Excellent sharpness in the center, not very sharp in the corners unless you stop down a lot or focus manually.

VSTR61

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Vic
The 17mm PRO arrived yesterday morning. I sold the 7-14mm PRO for the lighter weight and smaller size of the terribly underrated 8mm PRO and the 17mm PRO should compliment it nicely. These two, plus the 45mm PRO and 75mm Pseudo PRO will be the kit this trip.

I'm sure the 25mm PRO is magical but I can wait until Christmas.

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
The 17mm PRO arrived yesterday morning. I sold the 7-14mm PRO for the lighter weight and smaller size of the terribly underrated 8mm PRO and the 17mm PRO should compliment it nicely. These two, plus the 45mm PRO and 75mm Pseudo PRO will be the kit this trip.

I'm sure the 25mm PRO is magical but I can wait until Christmas.
Very good choice, you have a terrific kit now.

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Hi Vic.

I'm from Singapore and I would recommend having the 12-40 with you. We have a pretty interesting city and having the zoom would be useful in my view. Set out below are some shots (unfortunately low-res, downloaded from Facebook) that I've taken with the 12-40. Last shot is a pananoramic stitch.

P.S. We are experiencing some haze at the moment due to fires in Indonesia so I suggest you read up and prepare for that just in case (bring masks, be prepared for lack of blue skies etc).

View attachment 775067View attachment 775068View attachment 775069View attachment 775070View attachment 775071
Very nice pictures.

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Around 85% of my outdoor shots of Singapore were with the 12-40 at 12mm; the rest were the same lens at 32-40mm.

Indoors it was a bit different, so if you're expecting many indoor shots the primes may be worthwhile. As a tourist the 12-40 handled Singapore with aplomb though.

Take a macro or something very long focal length for the airport - this was taken after going through security:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom