1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

17mm m.zuiko on Panny body

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sLorenzi, Apr 20, 2011.

1. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Hi all
    Does anyone use the oly 17mm on a panny body? I'm used with the 35mm FOV on 35mm film, so was thinking on buy this lens to my G1, and would like to know if there is some issue regarding AF speed, focus hunting or something else when using them together.
    Any help will be much appreciated. :thumbup:

2. Rob1975

Rob1975 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2010
    AF Speed

The AF speed for a G1 with the 17mm lens is faster than the same mounted on an e-p1. I have both, and the G1 is definitely fast. If you like the 35mm FOV, I highly recommend the lens. It's been my standard lens for the past year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    As Rob mentioned, Panasonic bodies have always had quicker and more precise AF than Oly bodies, regardless of lens. I've always been eying the 17mm as well for the standard 35mm FOV, but instead opted for the 20mm.

Yes, it's a little longer in the FOV, but I adjusted to that. The big difference was in the 1.5 stop increase in brightness, which makes the 20mm a really usable lens in very poorly lit conditions and a more useful overall lens for me. Not an issue if you're shooting outside, daylight, or well lit spaces. There is, however, a bit of a price difference, so if cost is a concern, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 17mm. I don't think it has a bad rap or anything, I think it's just always been overshadowed by the 20mm. Still a very good lens.

Perhaps down the road when I get a bigger body (GHx, or perhaps whatever Oly's "pro" model is) and the GF1 becomes a "primes-only" body for me I'll be forced to collect all the primes for it.

• Like Like x 1