1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

17mm Lens Falling Apart

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by slackmachine, Feb 18, 2011.

1. slackmachine

slackmachine Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Hey guys recently the front silver ring of the 17mm lens I have fell off, so the blue ring is now completely exposed. Has this happened to anyone else? I've always liked Olympus products and thought they were high quality but this surprised me.

2. novocien

novocien New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2011
    Poland
    just happened to me. the front silver ring of the 17mm lens has fallen off after two month of normal lens usage. May be it was to tight for the lens in its case. However there is little of black joining substance underneath this ring so it must fall off sooner or later. Reattached it with a small dose of cyanoacrylic glue and am curious how long it will resist.

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Mine came off after the lens and camera bounced across the road. It still works fine with out it. Mines been like that for months now. The focus ring is lighter touch now but other than that still perfectly fine.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hopefully, the new 45mm doesn't succomb to this same fate

5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Glad to know it wasn't just me. The silver ring just popped off. I've since re-attached it with Super Glue. It's a shame, coming from a company that has made such great lenses for their OM, Pen F and 4/3 lines.

6. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I believe both the 12mm and the new 45mm have full metal exteriors ... so I wouldn't think they would be as prone to having plastic parts "pop off" after regular use.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    45mm has a "metal-like exterior" construction
    --> Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 Lens + E-PL3 body

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Good to know that if my silver ring pops off I can superglue it back on.
    I'm a firm believer in the quality of superglue-based lens modifications.

• Like Like x 1
  9. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    that's the concerning part, it's not a metal exterior, it's only a "metal-like" exterior... the 17mm lens has a metal "like" exterior... (at least in colour)

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've never seen the lens, but as a design and manufacturing engineer I can think of several simple reasons why it might be happening. This really needs to get reported back to them so they can have a chance to address it in production.

11. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    X-17 ?

It's not likely to happen by accident on the Zuiko 45: it will by design! :biggrin:
    They say the front ring is a dummy on some kind a bayonet. Something like on the standard zoom, a cosmetic ring to be removed for some accessories.

Maybe the 17 prototyped this feature? :wink:

12. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Same thing happened to me but I can't seem to find the original ring anywhere. Sigh, it works but the blue ring is exposed.

13. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Quick question since I just bought the black 17mm when Cameta had it on sale: If I attach a hood to the 17mm would that help hold the decorative ring on in case it comes off?

14. orsetto

orsetto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    :/ I just ordered from Cameta, too. Is the ring supposed to come off? I've seen 17mm with detached rings in FS photos

15. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    There is always the possibility of such failures, but I would not bother with that too much. Many people have bought this lens and I have read about this particular problem only twice until now. This is a more general problem which relates more to the internet than real problems. People don't write about not having any problems, but report even minor problems rather quickly. The result is, that we see some people having problems, but overestimate that easily, since we don't have any clue how much people are really affected. Problems of only few people are being raised to big problems concerning the manufacturer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. orsetto

orsetto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    This is true. I did see this thread before I ordered so this concern must've been squashed by all the times when it was not mentioned in Oly 17mm v Panny 20mm threads. And in the FS posts, the sellers did not even note it as anything out of the ordinary.

I guess it works fine without. Like above, I'll say it's by "design", "decorative" :biggrin:

17. oredon

oredon New to Mu-43

Aug 14, 2011
    Yes, this happened to my silver 17mm also-- was going to return it to Olympus (they said they would replace it) but the lens is still perfectly functional.