17mm Lens Falling Apart

slackmachine

Mu-43 Rookie
Hey guys recently the front silver ring of the 17mm lens I have fell off, so the blue ring is now completely exposed. Has this happened to anyone else? I've always liked Olympus products and thought they were high quality but this surprised me.

novocien

New to Mu-43
just happened to me. the front silver ring of the 17mm lens has fallen off after two month of normal lens usage. May be it was to tight for the lens in its case. However there is little of black joining substance underneath this ring so it must fall off sooner or later. Reattached it with a small dose of cyanoacrylic glue and am curious how long it will resist.

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
Mine came off after the lens and camera bounced across the road. It still works fine with out it. Mines been like that for months now. The focus ring is lighter touch now but other than that still perfectly fine.

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
Glad to know it wasn't just me. The silver ring just popped off. I've since re-attached it with Super Glue. It's a shame, coming from a company that has made such great lenses for their OM, Pen F and 4/3 lines.

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've never seen the lens, but as a design and manufacturing engineer I can think of several simple reasons why it might be happening. This really needs to get reported back to them so they can have a chance to address it in production.

Pan Korop

Mu-43 Veteran
X-17 ?

It's not likely to happen by accident on the Zuiko 45: it will by design! :biggrin:
They say the front ring is a dummy on some kind a bayonet. Something like on the standard zoom, a cosmetic ring to be removed for some accessories.

Maybe the 17 prototyped this feature? :wink:

oldskoolboarder

Mu-43 Regular
Same thing happened to me but I can't seem to find the original ring anywhere. Sigh, it works but the blue ring is exposed.

JJJPhoto

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jerry Jackson Jr
Quick question since I just bought the black 17mm when Cameta had it on sale: If I attach a hood to the 17mm would that help hold the decorative ring on in case it comes off?

orsetto

Mu-43 Rookie
:/ I just ordered from Cameta, too. Is the ring supposed to come off? I've seen 17mm with detached rings in FS photos

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Is the ring supposed to come off? I've seen 17mm with detached rings in FS photos
There is always the possibility of such failures, but I would not bother with that too much. Many people have bought this lens and I have read about this particular problem only twice until now. This is a more general problem which relates more to the internet than real problems. People don't write about not having any problems, but report even minor problems rather quickly. The result is, that we see some people having problems, but overestimate that easily, since we don't have any clue how much people are really affected. Problems of only few people are being raised to big problems concerning the manufacturer.

orsetto

Mu-43 Rookie
There is always the possibility of such failures, but I would not bother with that too much. Many people have bought this lens and I have read about this particular problem only twice until now. This is a more general problem which relates more to the internet than real problems. People don't write about not having any problems, but report even minor problems rather quickly. The result is, that we see some people having problems, but overestimate that easily, since we don't have any clue how much people are really affected. Problems of only few people are being raised to big problems concerning the manufacturer.
This is true. I did see this thread before I ordered so this concern must've been squashed by all the times when it was not mentioned in Oly 17mm v Panny 20mm threads. And in the FS posts, the sellers did not even note it as anything out of the ordinary.

I guess it works fine without. Like above, I'll say it's by "design", "decorative" :biggrin:

oredon

New to Mu-43
Yes, this happened to my silver 17mm also-- was going to return it to Olympus (they said they would replace it) but the lens is still perfectly functional.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom