17mm f2.8 IS question.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Fiddler, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Hi! I've been switching lenses around a bit, and I noticed when putting the 17mm back on my e-p1, that the IS has a focal length setting for 16mm or 18mm, but not 17mm. Seems a bit odd... Does it matter? Is it best to set it at 16mm, or 18mm? Many thanks.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The only time you need to set the focal length for the IBIS is when you're using a lens that doesn't communicate directly with the camera. The 17mm and all other native m43 lenses communicate with the camera and it sets the right focal length automatically. So you don't need to touch that setting - its not listening to you anyway! If you're using legacy lenses that don't have an electrical connection to the camera, THEN you need to set the focal length. But never for an m43 lens, whether an Olympus or Panasonic lens.

-Ray

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    1+ Thanks Ray

4. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks very much Ray!

5. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Clarification please: Would that include the Panny 20mm f/1.7? Or do you have to set the focal length, since it isn't a Zuiko lens???

6. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Ray said it right in his post.

7. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Oops, somehow I missed that bit! :redface:

Makes sense, the :43: is a standard after all, but thanks for the clarification!

8. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    If I am using a 50mm lens legacy lens, do i set the focal length to 50mm or to 100mm due to the crop factor?

9. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The focal length is a physical property of a lens, that is, 50mm are 50mm on an Olympus E-P1, 50mm on a Nikon D90 and 50mm on a Canon 5DM2. Thus you have to set 50mm.

10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yes, as advised by Pictor....
    Always use the actual focal length of the lens.
    The camera adjust the confusion issue.