17mm f/2.8 defective?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Steinar, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Steinar

Steinar New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2012
    Quantico, VA
    Hi folks,

I got a new 17mm f/2.8 in the mail today. The lens does not autfocus and the E-PL1 slows down - responds slowly and something is "wrong." If press the shutter, the camera will take the picture 3-6 seconds later. Everything slows down and seems buggy, like menu and live view options.

If I switch to any other lens, 14-42, 40-150 or panny 20, 45-200, everything works fine.

I have reset the camera, checked firmware, but can not think of anything else than defective lens?

Any tips?

Steinar

2. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    It sounds like you have covered the bases; I owned the 17 for a year and never experienced anything like that. That lens should focus as fast or faster than the other lenses in your collection. I assume from your troubleshooting that you have reseated the lens and it is fully engaged. Other than that, I think it is time to contact the seller. Good Luck,
    Lee

3. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    what mode were you on? Art Filter on?

the 17mm works well with my e-pl2; normally it AF within 1 sec or so under
    good lighting condition.

4. Steinar

Steinar New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2012
    Quantico, VA
    follow up

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have contacted Olympus America as well. The contacts have been cleaned on the lens, and the lens shows no improvement. All the different presets (art,scn, P, M, etc) have shown same result = non-responsive AF.

If I get any inputs from Olympus, I will post the findings to the forum.

Steinar

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Sorry to hear that, I also have a 45mm 1.8 that was defective, the camera didn't recognize the lens as attached. Error was: *Please check that the lens is attached correctly*. I had it replaced.