1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

17 or 20mm on the E-P3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by j4hug, Dec 24, 2011.

1. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    London
    A Christmas good wishes to everyone. This is my first threat and I'm sure this may have been answered before my searching skills didn't find anything.
    But does anyone have experience of both the 17 and the 20? I have used the pancake 17 and on the E-P3 it performs really well. I have tried it in the street and on food and am very happy however I have the opportunity to trade if for a 20mm I would like the extra speed but not sure what other gains I would have as I loose a bit of wide angle ( but then there's the Olympus 12 for a later purchase) Thanks Jerry

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have Panny 20 mm lens and its fantastic .I had 17 mm and that was also fun and very good lens. But I just got Olympus 45mm 1.8 yesterday and I can tell u this lens rocks. For wide angle just get 14 mm 2.5 one but please get urself 45mm 1.8
    cheers

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 20/1.7 is a considerably sharper lens, although unless you print large or view at 100% on the screen, you likely won't notice the difference. The extra speed lets you defocus the background more effectively.

The downside of the 20/1.7 is that the focusing speed isn't as fast. Some people find this annoying. Also the lens is a bit bigger.

I'd say go for the 20/1.7.

DH

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If you can trade straight up, I'd do it just because of the difference in value. Then you can try it and see if you miss the 17mm....if you do, the 17mm costs a little more than half the price of the 20mm on the used market. Unless you're a pixel peeper, I think people make more of the difference than there really is. I have them both and use them both. There's something very nice about how the 17mm renders an image.

5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I've been using a 17 for a few months now and quite like it. Last week I got to borrow a 20 for a short while. I'm buying the 20 soon to bring my 90% lens up to the standard of my 10% lens, the 45/1.8.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I prefer the 35 FOV, but Olympus would be smart to upgrade the 17mm soon, instead of releasing an endless stream of kit zooms. A fast 17mm 1.4 would be awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I had both and while I liked the 17 (it's a good lens) the 20 is a GREAT lens. If the deal is a straight up trade then you are getting a real bargain and if it were me I'd jump on that.

8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    The 20 will give you extra light as well sharper images but you scarifice on AFspeed and a bit noisy on video, size, and FOV.

There isn't a right answer. If you have the 14-45kit lens, I'd get the 20 in a heartbeat, especially if you have the mark II version or MSC mark III one. That said, I'd swap out for the 20 as movie mode isn't a big deal for me and I'd prefer the extra light gathering and sharper IQ.

9. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    London
    Thanks everyone, some good food for thought there.
    I may well have to stay with the 17 for now I am quite happy with the results on my small laptop screen, I would have liked the extra speed but can cope.....
    I know it is a different type of lens but wonder of Olympus will bring out a 35mm macro as in the 4/3rds size? The trouble is it is unlikely to be less than f2.8.

10. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    35mm macro is less than ideal. I think the PL45mm should be fine.

We really could use a nice cheap (under $200) macro for m43, regardless of FL or speed.

11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    your lens roadmap will also play role on your decision making.

example:

the 17mm, then pair with 25mm.

or

the 20mm, then pair with 14mm or 12mm.

:biggrin:

12. Rob1975

Rob1975 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2010
    Many have commented on the slow focus speed of the 20mm compared to the 17mm... Is this only on the e-p3? I just recently tried the 20mm on my e-p1 and it was much faster in terms of AF compared to my 17mm...