16th Mu-43 Salon Competition - Christmas & the Holiday Seasons

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by LeoS, Dec 11, 2012.

1. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    16th Mu-43 Salon Competition - Christmas & the Holiday Seasons

I think it's an appropriate theme leading up to the Christmas holiday :)

The picture does not have to be specifically about Christmas icons, but more about the spirit and warmth that are associated with it.

Let the celebration begin!

The Rules:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. Shots can be uploaded from any gallery, Mu43 or whatever is your preference.

3. To enter your photo after uploading, copy the code in the Linked Image box and paste it into a reply to to this message. You can use the Quick Reply box at the bottom of this page.

4. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you intend doing.

5. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

6. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Mu-43 Contests and Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. That opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

7. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

8. Please, donĀ“t be shy...Participate and have fun.

9. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.
  2. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Memories for the Tree

OK, I'll go first!

Taken last year as we were putting the decorations away for the year. Available light with the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 and the EPL2.

• Like Like x 4
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    E-PL1 with PL 20mm at f/1.7, 1/50 sec, ISO 1000
    • Like Like x 3
  4. sac

sac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    • Like Like x 6
  5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Just took this one last week:

• Like Like x 5
  6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    christmas in killarney

• Like Like x 3
  7. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Did you gift-wrap my bone, too?

• Like Like x 5
  8. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Electric Angel.
    • Like Like x 7
  9. xmsnx

xmsnx Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Christmas bike :)

• Like Like x 9
  10. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  11. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    this is a fabulous picture. I almost never leave photos in my replies when quoting, but this time I feel I need to make an exception.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. xmsnx

xmsnx Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Thank you :)
  13. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  14. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    patriotic star by foxtail_1, on Flickr

Detail from patriotic tree at the Greenbrier Hotel, one of dozens of holiday trees on display there.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    And the winner is....

Apologies for the delay in wrapping up this contest.. hopefully everyone is back from their christmas break/vacation by now :)

Though the entries are limited, they're all very very good! It's really hard to pick the winners...!

So without further ado...

Third Place:
    caimi - Master of the single-frame story :) I'm getting the vibe of a cosy shop after closing time on a christmas eve. Nice ambiance and certainly got the brief to the dot.

Second Place:
    xmsnx - Well done, mate! Such a fresh take on this subject. The warmth of the christmas bike almost melts the scene for me, and what a great use of fisheye lens that leads to this interesting composition.

feilb - What an awesome photo. I love the moment that you've captured here. The joy and awe of the kid, in the warm and cosy christmas home. You've done it for me.

Congrats to the winners and thanks everyone for your participation!
    I'm looking forward to the next competition, feilb the ball is in your court!

Thank you,