16:9 LCD for stills?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Jan 7, 2012.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    First off, apologies if this or a similar question has already been asked. I have done a few searches but I am in a bit of a hurry for some info and opinions.

In choosing between the E-pl2 and E-pl3, there isn't much in it. I initially thought the lack of hand grip on the newer model would be a dealbreaker, especially for someone with large hands like myself but after testing both at the showroom, I found that the newer model actually feels quite good to hold.

The only real advantage I can see from the reviews is the focusing lamp. I don't care much about the faster af, more focusing points and more art filters, I just like the look and feel of the E-p3 a little better. The only thing is that the 16:9 three inch lcd means I will have to crop images to 4:3 effectively making the image into a smaller 2.4'' (according to DCResource) with black bars on the sides. I spoke to someone earlier today who said it's something the user will get used to but I don't know if that's true. The articulated screen seems like a good idea but I don't know if having extra angles is such an advantage if the image used for composing shots is smaller. I just don't know why they fitted a screen suited more for video's for a product meant for shooting stills.

Anyway, any info or opinions would be appreciated.

Edit: I do not plan on purchasing or using the EVF's available for the cameras so the LCD will be my only means for composing shots.
  2. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    I don't quite get this 'The only thing is that the 16:9 three inch lcd means I will have to crop images to 4:3 effectively making the image into a smaller 2.4'' (according to DCResource) with black bars on the sides.'

The image result, if you view it on a computer, they won't have black bars. Any size format (3:2,4:3,16:9,...) won't have black bars. There are black bars when you view it on the camera lcd because the camera is 16:9.
  3. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    The camera makes use of the black bars for the on screen info, so it doesn't overlay the image. I find this quite nice on the E-PM1.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    If you don't care about AF and you intend to use the LCD only, not the EVF, I think the E-PL2 makes more sense. The LCD is how you compose, and to me that's the most important control on a camera. 2.4" and 3.0" aren't worlds apart, but it is a substantial difference.

5. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    I agree with atomic - you don't notice. They couldn't have put a much taller LCD there anyways. I've also really started to like 16x9 crops for which it is handy.
  6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I have an E-PM1 and the 16:9 LCD bothers me not at all and doesn't affect the photos I take. Selecting an aspect ratio in the camera's menu will affect the results I get.

Also, the OP might want to think about how he or she views images. If it's on a digital TV or widescreen computer monitor, shooting stills in 16:9 might be a good idea. I personally tend to favor 3:2, which is the same aspect ratio that I get with my DSLR kit. There's no reason to be wedded to 4:3.

It sounds like the OP would be happy enough with the E-PL2 - at least for now. As he or she gains more experience, a camera with better performance might become more important. The same goes for the EVF.
  7. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I remember thinking about this when widescreen TV was first hitting the shelves. Why would I buy a 32" widescreen when a 32" 4x3 would give me more picture. At the time the only programming available was 4x3.

Back to the camera, the E-PM1 makes good use of the side bars with the info, rather than superimposing it on the frame.
  8. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks guys, I guess it's a matter of personal preference since I've always prefered viewing images in 4:3 even on widescreen monitors. I'll have another look to see if I can work with the smaller images on the E-pl3.

This is exactly my point. Do you think that having an articulated screen makes up for the smaller image displayed?