15mm Lens Hood Issues

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GnedTheGnome, Apr 12, 2016.

1. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

Every time I take my camera out of the bag, with the 15mm attached, I discover that the lens hood has come off, leaving the front element exposed and begging to be scratched. Have any of you come up with a hack that will keep the dang thing in place? Or maybe a replacement lens hood that is a similar size (ì.e., not huge) that doesn't fall off?
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm actually glad you posted this. My hood needs very slight resistance to remove. It doesn't come off on its own, but I wondered if mine was just easy or if they are all like that. They might not all be like that, but yours and mine are...
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you basically leave it on permanently, try wedging a thin strip of blue tac into the thread for the hood. I've done the same for the decoration ring (I never use the hood) and that hasn't come off since. If you use only a little it won't be visible.
  4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    Tha same here, often becomes detached. I might try a small strip of electrical insulating tape (or similar) on the underside between the hood and lens.
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    What is blue tac?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wjiang

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've just gone to using cheap, metal screw-in hoods on both my PL15 and PL25. They're less than $10 on ebay, ship from a person in the US, and work great. If you buy the 46mm version, it's the same diameter as the PL15's body and adds about 3/4" to the length of the lens. I am using a 58mm version because I have a 46>58mm step-up ring on the lens, just so that I can use all of my 58mm filters (I've done the same thing with the PL25 as well).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

Do you find the 15mm handles flare well, then?
  9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I wasn't familiar with it. Is it just to increase volume and friction or does it have adhesive properties, and does it leave a residue when removed?
  10. wjiang

It mostly increases volume and friction. It has very minor adhesive properties but it's formulated to not leave a residue.
    It does a decent job. If I notice a problem I'll use my hand to shield the lens.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  11. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Wjiang, I am also finding that a strategically placed hand can save time and reduce the hassle of attaching/detaching a lens hood. I also doubt the effectiveness of such a hood on wide focal range zoom lenses (12-40mm). If I carry more than two lenses the hoods take up valuable real estate in a small camera bag. I freely admit this argument (flare effectiveness) does not apply to primes.
    I don't want to start a forum war over this issue (hoods vs. no hoods), I just wanted to express my personal preference. As a senior I seem to be going through my gear annually and lightening my load based on size, weight, frequency of use and as a consequence I'm jettisoning what I used to deem as a requirement for critical photographic IQ (example: I don't always carry a tripod). I also find that removing the lens hood that flare can be equalized by removing protection filters such a UV or Clear. Just an amateurs opinion.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't use hoods or filters and sometimes I even forget my lens caps!
  13. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Honestly I have experienced what others are talking about. I don't mind it as it doesn't come off/loose that easily. I think mainly I like to rotate the hood as well as play with the
    aperture ring when I'm standing about or waiting for my next shot. I love the look of my hoods on my lenses (15, 25 1.4 and Nocticron). Its like a cherry on top of that finely crafted piece of art I'm holding.