15mm Body Cap Lens: Why?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by digitalandfilm, Oct 7, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Why not [directed to DPR OP]?

I mean, I don't know if I am going to get one, but I think it is pretty cool that it exists.
  2. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I don't see a point in reading DPR.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Let the kids have their fun...that's what I say. Even if something is of little interest to me, if it pleases others, then whatever.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I guess I have to see and handle one.. but it's really an odd bird..
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    That's a good thread for DPR. We can hold some quality discussion here instead of this topic -- or more likely, quality images -- and leave the blathering and endless but pointless arguing to that disaster of a "community".
    • Like Like x 3
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I see your point. That's an amazingly civil discussion for DPR.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Having said that, for some folks this will be a useful lens. I know lots of folks that don't worry about razor sharp images for street work. As for a color cast (if there is one), that can be removed in PP or converted to B&W. For me, I can keep this lens in my pocket for the occasional wide angle shot while I have a longer FL prime on the camera. Its price makes it a real option for many secondary roles. Of course, this lens will inevitably have a cult status since there are photographers out there who could make great images with a bag of marbles as a lens. Once these get published, everyone else will be out there trying. The other day I tried shooting with my 14 at f8. It has an interesting look that works on some shots. OTOH, at f8 diffraction is beginning to cut in and it's easy to run out of light/iso.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    If you look past the bickering and know-it-all's, there is a large amount of information. I use it to my advantage- what interests me.

Dpreview.com is worth $2 million dollars

www.dpreview.com Estimated Worth $2,072,607 USD by valueis: Free Website Evaluation

Mu-43.com is worth $75.00 dollars

www.mu-43.com Estimated Worth $75 USD by valueis: Free Website Evaluation

Other related sites (Ken Rockwell and Steve Huff) are worth $1 million and $25k respectively.

All are invaluable to me. :2thumbs:
  10. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    My response was just a bit of snark in response to the tone of the linked post. I occasionally read a thread or two there if they come up in a search.

To me, this site is priceless due to the respectful nature of the members toward each other and the hard work of the moderators- a model that most other online communities would do well to adopt.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Donsantos

Donsantos Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2012
    That was my post. I tend to troll there for fun to get people riled up (I'm surprised it got a repost here) but When I really want a good honest opinion I'll post it here.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I see the point clearly: its 50 bux, its sharp, and has a focusing mechanism that looks to be a delight to operate. I think landscape/street shooter will want this lens.

While I don't visit DPR (unless Google directs me there), I like the fact it exist. If you manage to mentally filter the **** from DPR threads, you'll be left with some usable information.
  13. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I pre-ordered it the other day.
    I don't have a huge budget, and I love quirky lenses.
    The Holga Lens Kit for my EPL-1 is a lot of fun. Not crazy about the FE though.
    But then I also use a film Holga from time to time.
    There is even an adapter ring to use the lenses from a Pentax Auto 110.

Looking forward to my new funky lens. will post images then.
  14. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Love it! For another $109 dollars, you can get a better lens.

No kidding Shakespeare!

Fun! That's the point. Fun with decent quality and an opportunity to use the strengths and weakness of the unique lens. Fun! Like with the amazing Olympus XA series of yore.

I just ordered one -- late in the game -- for the new E-PM2 on its way, and I expect to have a blast with the combination.
  15. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    This lens intrigued me when it was first announced and I ordered it. My only "problem" is that I currently use it on an EM5 so it really does not make the camera much more pocketable. Perhaps when I get the EP5.
    But, having said that, the few times I have walked around it with it is lots of fun. I tend to use it with the B&W Art Filter, which covers up a lot of the short comings of the "sharpness" of the lens. Fun combo.
  16. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    When someone on a UK forum was looking, it was #69 GBP, and at that price I would never buy it. In the US I got it for $49, which is effectively half that price. Not quite a no-brainer, because $50 is still $50 to those of us who have to pay attention to prices as low as double digits, but it gives some good results.

That being said, I'd still like the 14mm, and if I ever get that, it will mostly make the bodycap redundant gear for me (of which I have a few in the camera gear drawer now).
  17. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    These body cap lenses must be flying off shelves because Oly came up with them in colors.
  18. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    For one of the smaller M4/3 bodies I think it'd be a cool little toy to have around, especially at the price...

While I may not be lusting over everything Oly/Pan make, I'm definitely impressed by the VARIETY...it seems that many of their lenses are aimed at making photography *FUN*...and that's really important...
  19. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    Why? Simple. Hyperfocal focusing with a detent. No AF delay. A flick of the lever and it's a body cap. Accurate manual focusing with magnified view and the lever. And most of its optical flaws like pincushion and CA can be corrected in raw. And you can't beat the price. It's a good candid street lens for daylight. Remember "F8 and be there?"