1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

15mm Body cap lens - some shots and thoughts

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sgoldswo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. sgoldswo

sgoldswo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2012
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Full post here: Thoughts on the Olympus Body Cap Lens « sgoldswoblog

In summary, it very much isn't optical perfection but it is fun... :smile: Not sure it's worth £69 though!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgoldswo/8146152006/" title="PB010305-Edit by sgoldswo, on Flickr"> 8146152006_4218aa3272_b. "1024" height="768" alt="PB010305-Edit"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice shot, though. That pigeon shot in the link in the blog seems awfully sharp. I keep seeing reviews that say something like "this lens isn't great. Look at these 500 pictures I took with it".

• Like Like x 2
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It does look like fun. I'm still waiting for mine . . . :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm in love with mine. I need an epl5 just for that lens!!

5. sgoldswo

sgoldswo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2012
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I know what you mean - that's a combo that will fit into many a pocket. Only thing that worries me about using this with an E-PL5 would be the weaker stabilisation

6. sgoldswo

sgoldswo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2012
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Thank you - the pigeon shot amused me because it is so sharp at the centre and so soft around the edges. One of the joys of this lens is getting MF dead on (ish) and seeing what happens at the edges.

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    im not so much worried if i get a slightly blurred shot with this lens,.. or any lens really...but especially this one, lol!

8. sgoldswo

sgoldswo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2012
    Hertfordshire, UK
    LOL - just realised what I said...

9. fullbanani

fullbanani Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Berlin, GER
    Wouldn't any £69 compact camera get better results? I don't quite get this one...

10. sgoldswo

sgoldswo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2012
    Hertfordshire, UK
    A compact wouldn't give you the same results because a compact would have a tiny sensor but probably more consistent glass across the frame, so it wouldn't give you the centre, very sharp, edges, soft, effect this lens does. If you look at the photo of the pigeon on my blog you'll see what I mean. You need to intentionally use glass like this to achieve that effect (or start applying filters)...

• Like Like x 1
  11. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    I'm really enjoying this lens. It's... refreshing. Of course, superfine detail and good borders are not what you are going to ask from it, but it delivers on the street, oh yes.
    If you'd like to take a look at a couple of shots, here you go:
    bicycle
    clam pickers
    love is love
    offside
    sunset lighting

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jodie_harsh

Jodie_harsh Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2012
    London
    Got this lens free with my OMD kit. Feels super cheap and tiny! Not my thing so put it for sale. Did test some shots but found it redundant to keep as a lens.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    There was no way this lens was going to be optically perfect. (If Olympus could make an optically perfect lens for $50 they would burn the plans.) To be successful, the pictures had to have a "look" to them. The "center sharp, soft edges" result is just fine, although it would be more of a challenge to apply the rule of thirds. I've seen some great shots so obviously some folks have worked out the trick of using the 15.

• Like Like x 2