1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

15mm Body Cap Lens + 90mm of Extension Tubes

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mister_roboto, Mar 3, 2013.

1. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I've always had an affinity for macro anything, but can't quite justify a Nanoha x5 macro lens (which I would love to play with... just not very often), SO I tried a poor man's version (slow Sunday and all :wink:), and decided to stick my kenko macro extension tubes + my "dumb" ยต4/3 tubes on to the 15mm f8 oly body cap lens, and took a photo of my E-M5 key chain with my E-M5 (I'm all meta like that).

Key chain taken with the 12-50mm kit lens:
    OMD38384.

with about 90mm of extension tubes behind the 15m:
    OMD38378.

I think I hit about 3 1/2x to 4x. I suppose the Nanoha would have better image quality eh?

• Like Like x 2
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You've got to give us a pic of the extension tubes on the body with the lens!

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Behold Frankenlens! (uh, sorry about quality, my only other digital camera is weird, it has a phone in it):

20130303_182033.

Final verdict: NOT POCKETABLE.

• Like Like x 5
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I dunno. It looks like an all-black Pringles can or something. Or a can of really cool tennis balls :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Awesome shot - interesting setup. Very creative! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    You know how Pringles used to let you mail in for a Pringles cap with a speaker in it? I think they should do a new thing: let us mail in for a Pringles cap lens! Haha. :)

7. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    This is hilarious and awesome, thanks for posting! I'm a big fan of the BCL, DxOMark notwithstanding, and this is an awesome way to push it a little bit (90mm give or take) out of its comfort zone!

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What about a shot of a coin? I am not sure what in the image is degradation of the keychain, and what is from the lens.