15mm Body Cap Lens + 90mm of Extension Tubes

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mister_roboto, Mar 3, 2013.

1. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I've always had an affinity for macro anything, but can't quite justify a Nanoha x5 macro lens (which I would love to play with... just not very often), SO I tried a poor man's version (slow Sunday and all :wink:), and decided to stick my kenko macro extension tubes + my "dumb" µ4/3 tubes on to the 15mm f8 oly body cap lens, and took a photo of my E-M5 key chain with my E-M5 (I'm all meta like that).

Key chain taken with the 12-50mm kit lens:
    OMD38384.

with about 90mm of extension tubes behind the 15m:
    OMD38378.

I think I hit about 3 1/2x to 4x. I suppose the Nanoha would have better image quality eh?

• Like Like x 2
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You've got to give us a pic of the extension tubes on the body with the lens!

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Behold Frankenlens! (uh, sorry about quality, my only other digital camera is weird, it has a phone in it):

20130303_182033.

Final verdict: NOT POCKETABLE.

• Like Like x 5
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I dunno. It looks like an all-black Pringles can or something. Or a can of really cool tennis balls :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Awesome shot - interesting setup. Very creative! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    You know how Pringles used to let you mail in for a Pringles cap with a speaker in it? I think they should do a new thing: let us mail in for a Pringles cap lens! Haha. :) 

7. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    This is hilarious and awesome, thanks for posting! I'm a big fan of the BCL, DxOMark notwithstanding, and this is an awesome way to push it a little bit (90mm give or take) out of its comfort zone!

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What about a shot of a coin? I am not sure what in the image is degradation of the keychain, and what is from the lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.