What is it with Fuji?

dabbler

Mu-43 Regular
Well, I'm from Rochester, so Fuji is the real four letter f word.

At least that's how it was when I grew up; not so much any more.

Oh, I understand that situation... My Mum used to work for Kodak, and the bane of my early adolescent family holidays was Mum's tendency to startle other tourists by theatrically growling at the sight of a Fuji sign. :eek: :rolleyes:

In those days Kodak employed 10,000 in my hometown; now it employs less than 200.

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In those days Kodak employed 10,000 in my hometown; now it employs less than 200.
Yeah, we know what that feels like ... x 10. :frown:

0209-biz-KODAK-for-web-sub.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

silverbullet

Mu-43 Veteran
Yeah, we know what that feels like ... x 10. :frown:

0209-biz-KODAK-for-web-sub.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Steve Jobs had just one chance to rescue a company, not two.....

dabbler

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, it must be far, far worse in Rochester.

I guess there are few trickier corporate dilemmas than what to do when a company invents something that threatens to put itself out of business. It's very sad that Kodak fumbled it.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
hmm
years ago, i just knew everyone likes the dslrs for the skin tones and the dr for wedding dresses n such
and then i didnt really "feel" much fuji love for a long time
and now its all x100 love... mebbe we dont frequent the same online brouhahas :)

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think the X100 is pretty awesome... the main reason I didn't go for one is I like to take my camera backpacking, and I was a bit paranoid about dust on the sensor. Now after using the E-P3, I wonder if it has ruined me for anything that is much slower in operation. I am looking forward to the rumored Fuji m4/3 body and, especially, lenses. Anything to help grow the system is cool with me.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The X100 struck a chord with many people. Before that, however, I didn't know many who got really excited over Fuji.

songs2001

Mu-43 Top Veteran
drd1135 said:
The X100 struck a chord with many people. Before that, however, I didn't know many who got really excited over Fuji.

The Fuji F31d was a very popular enthusiast camera for low light shooting. After it was discontinued it was selling quite a bit above retail price.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I always thought Kodak was making inroads in the sensor development business? They made some of the first commercially viable DSLRs.

It seems like the big camera makers wanted to get away from Kodak as fast as possible, considering Kodak was selling cameras for like $30,000 back in the day!

ZephyrZ33

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Before the introduction of mirrorless cameras, Panasonic, Pentax, Ricoh, Casio, Sony, Fuji they were all the same to me: big companies that make cameras too.

I defaulted on the standard "C.O.N." trifecta (Canon, Olympus, Nikon).

Truth is, the x100 has me paying attention to Fuji more.

Photorx12

Mu-43 Regular
I really can't explain it, but for me the X100 has never failed me. I have a G3, but I never leave with out my X100. I always take shots with it and have had some amazing results with it. The x100 is what opened the the doors for me into photography, and now I use that camera and a micro 4/3 system. Many say the same thing about the Micro 4/3 thirds craze to, they simply don't get it.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think you will find that most people on the street have never heard of these Fuji cameras. So what you are really talking about is the very small world of camera enthusiasts.

Fuji has a really great track record of releasing products no else does. And they do it very well. Look at the medium-format film products. Right now they have two current rangefinders--a folder and fixed lens that shoot both 6x6 and 6x7. Or how about an interchangeable lens 6x17 panoramic cameras and the GX680 was an amazing studio camera. Pocket sized 6x4.5 cameras were very nice. And then the TX-1 that was rebadged for Hasselblad as the Xpan. They made great large-format lenses as well. Lets not forget the 16 lens golf camera.

Fuji does what other companies won't do and make unusual cameras and make them well. The new X-Pro1 sensor is a giant leap, better than what Sony is doing.

The fact that you don't get it does not matter. I think Harley's are a waste of money, but there are folks that don't. It just means the Fuji X series cameras are not for you.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Well, as someone with no history of photography or with cameras/brands, my interest in Fuji came from the X100 and X-Pro1 because of:

1) the raved-about Fuji JPEGs - so far I've not been disappointed with the film modes on the X100.

2) APS-C sensor with excellent image quality and noise performance. The X100 has delivered on that so far as I'm concerned. I've not used the X-Pro1 but I've seen plenty of examples to indicate that it is a sizable improvement over the X100 and easily a competitor with the top of the line DSLR sensors.

3) The retro aesthetic/style; I like the way it looks and feels but also the fact that it's so non-threatening to people. Even with small m4/3 gear, people can easily get self-conscious about photographs but the Fuji is somehow very innocuous.

4) High quality glass - the X100's fixed lens is very good even wide open, and the X-Pro1 available lenses get very high marks in reviews so I imagine they represent more of the same.

I haven't used a Sony sensor so I can't comment on that comparison, but I've been suitably happy with the X100's sensor compared to my G3 and GX1 and don't feel it was overhyped. Similarly, I haven't shot Olympus, but the film mode JPEGs from the X100 combined with the IQ are what keep me hanging in there with the X100 so far, despite all the things I *don't* like about it. I'm still not sure I'll hang onto it for the long term but that's what's tipping the scales for now at any rate.

I think it helps to remember many people ask the same kinds of questions about m4/3; "why is everyone interested in a camera with a 'tiny' sensor, less AF performance, and less shallow DOF, I don't get it??". Obviously those of us here have our reasons, but they may or may not be compelling or obvious to other folks :wink:

M

mabelsound

A history of classic medium-format rangefinders, after which the X-Pro1 is styled, and a recent reputation for independent and quirky design. They're different. People like that.

chrism_scotland

Mu-43 Veteran
I have to say that prior to my recent affair with an X100 and X-Pro 1 I wasn't aware of any "love" for Fuji but I can see why now, both cameras are excellent (despite the AF!) and to me they both give off some "magic" that I just can't describe, something that I'm finding my OMD isn't doing for me even though I think that overall its a better camera than the XP1 was.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Fuji has been an innovator for a while (especially in digital) since the introduction of the SuperCCD, low light compacts like the F20, F20, F31, the Nikon based S2, the early ZLRs and Superzooms like the 602 and now the X100, X10 and X1 Pro. I am much more surprised by the love affair folks have with Olympus m43 cameras than I am with Fuji.

BSH

Mu-43 Veteran
holy old thread, batman! ;)

My first digital camera was a 4MP all-auto Fuji compact P&S, and it's still used all the time. It has better IQ than the 12MP Samsung P&S my wife bought. Fuji makes good stuff. And the X100... I know it has flaws, but I love that it is set up to be an all-manual exposure camera (with full auto if you like). It's not just a retro look, it's how photography WORKS at a basic level. I WANT one! (I'll never get one, because we just aren't going to have that kind of money, but still...)
Cheers,
B

parka

Mu-43 Regular
On my recent trip, I chose the X-Pro1 over GH2 simply because there's no way I could go wrong with the jpeg.

Latest threads

Top Bottom