150mm F2 on OMD EM1

britinjapan

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello, back to this forum after a year, and just realized today the old m43 lenses can fit on a EM1. Does this mean no adapter needed? And how is the AF of the 150mm F2 on it? Many thanks

britinjapan

Mu-43 Rookie
Many thanks. Can I ask on the EM1 is the AF as good as it can be? I mean , since this camera is now the replacement of the DSLR?

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've not got a 150/2, but I do have a 50-200. AF using 4/3 lenses on the E-M1 is fine IMHO. From what I've read it's not quite as good as on the E-5 etc, but since I never owned a 4/3 SLR, I can't directly compare.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The AF on the E-M1 with many of the 4/3 lenses I've found is better than with the 4/3 bodies. The only lens that I have that hunts is the pretty slow 18-180mm f3.5-6.3, but it wasn't fast on my E-5 either. If you have the SHG or HG lenses, they focus fairly well.

JimUSNY

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim
the 150 F2 by itself is pretty good on AFing on the EM1, add the EC's and it lacks a bit compared to how it does on the E5. I use it with the Ec20 for a 300MM F4 quite a bit, as long as its a static subject AF is fine, CAF on moving birds is a whole other story, but the 4/3rds bodies dont do well at that either

dissonantie

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi,

This is my first post here, so please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

Last weekend I bought a second hand Oly 150mm f2 lens and an accompanying EC20 for my E-M1. Tomorrow I'm expecting the MMF-3 adapter in my mailbox, so I can finally start shooting. But now I'm wondering: how should I carry this combination? Previously I used to carry a Canon 60D + 200mm f2.8L with the regular camera strap attached to the body. However, the weight of this Oly lens is larger, and the E-M1 is much smaller. Obviously I'd rather not damage my camera by putting too much stress on it while walking. I noticed that forum user ak300 attached his strap to the camera, but in the photo on page 8 (https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=32190&page=8) he's still holding the lens. So please, can you tell me about your experiences?

Thanks!

Phocal

God
Hi,

This is my first post here, so please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

Last weekend I bought a second hand Oly 150mm f2 lens and an accompanying EC20 for my E-M1. Tomorrow I'm expecting the MMF-3 adapter in my mailbox, so I can finally start shooting. But now I'm wondering: how should I carry this combination? Previously I used to carry a Canon 60D + 200mm f2.8L with the regular camera strap attached to the body. However, the weight of this Oly lens is larger, and the E-M1 is much smaller. Obviously I'd rather not damage my camera by putting too much stress on it while walking. I noticed that forum user ak300 attached his strap to the camera, but in the photo on page 8 (https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=32190&page=8) he's still holding the lens. So please, can you tell me about your experiences?

Thanks!

While I can not speak to using the 150mm I can speak to using heavy lenses on my cameras. I only use BlackRapid straps for my cameras and follow the rule that if the lens has a tripod mount I attach the strap to the lens. I have a few old and heavy manual focus lenses (like my Lester Dine 105mm macro) that does not have a tripod mount and feel the lens is to heavy for the camera so I carry it by the lens. Really need to get an adaptor that has a tripod mount on it for lenses like that.

JimUSNY

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim
Well dont carry it using only the body straps alone, I do carry mine with camera strap over shoulder, but also always have the lens in my hand holding the majority of the weight when I do.. if you want to let it hang loose carry it attached to a tripod or as previous poster said with straps on the lens mount, that being said sometime I do let it hang to free up hands for a minute sometimes, so far no problems, but when you feel how heavy it is you will think twice about it as I do :), by the way do you have the grip for your Em-1? if not it will feel quite awkward but not bad at all with the grip

dissonantie

Mu-43 Rookie
Thank you for your replies. Yesterday evening the MMF-3 arrived, but it was already dark so I couldn't go out to test the lens. Some indoor test shots did prove that this lens' image quality is superb, wow! It does take some getting used to regarding the weight. The Canon 200mm 2.8L was much easier to handhold and on a crop body it provided 320mm f4 (35mm equivalent) vs 300 f4 with the Oly. But the additional light gathering and ability to shoot at much lower shutter speeds with IBIS makes this Oly lens worth it I hope - time will tell.

I don't have the grip for my E-M1 and indeed it feels a bit awkward. I think I'll give it a few weeks of testing before I decide whether I should one. And I will look into the Blackrapid strap next time I'm visiting my local camera store, thanks for the suggestions!

dissonantie

Mu-43 Rookie
Where are you getting the ƒ4 from? I would be 320mm ƒ2.8 and 300mm ƒ2.0.

Hi Phocal,

For as far as I know the 1.6x crop factor of a Canon 60D with a 200mm f2.8 lens results in:
- Angle of view: 1.6 x 200 = 320mm (35mm equivalent)
- Depth of field: 1.6 x f2.8 = f4 (35mm equivalent)
- Light gathering: f2.8 (does not change because it's the focal length divided by the diameter of the lens opening)

Similarly, the 2.0x crop factor of the E-M1 plus the 150mm f2.0 lens corresponds with:
- Angle of view: 2.0 x 150 = 300mm (35mm equivalent)
- Depth of field: 2.0 x f2.0 = f4 (35mm equivalent)
- Light gathering: f2.0 (same as above)

JimUSNY

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim
Dont worry about DOF equiv, the light is what counts... by the way you should pick up an EC14 for it at the cheap prices they are going for, its a great piece of glass and will get you out to 210MM F2.8.. I use mine with the ec20 for 300MM F4..

dissonantie

Mu-43 Rookie
Dont worry about DOF equiv, the light is what counts... by the way you should pick up an EC14 for it at the cheap prices they are going for, its a great piece of glass and will get you out to 210MM F2.8.. I use mine with the ec20 for 300MM F4..

Hi Jim,

Yes, I agree the light is what counts. This is one of my reasons for buying the Oly and selling my Canon lens. For the price of the Oly lens I could as well have bought myself a Canon 70D, but I really wanted to skim down to 1 system. Also, I did not intend to come across as worrying about the DOF equivalence: basically I got the same DOF as with my former Canon lens. I was happy with that lens, so I will be happy with this one as well. And as bonus I have: extra light gathering, image stabilization, and weather sealing.

Today I can finally try out my new lens during the day, so it's time for a trip to the zoo. I also bought an EC20 from the same seller, so I already have some extra reach :smile:

dissonantie

Mu-43 Rookie

dissonantie

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for the suggestion Ray. I prefer not to add too much additional weight and this one looks pretty good.

Unfortunately I did not have much opportunities so far to try out this lens. It was raining when we visited the zoo last weekend, so there were barely any animals outside. Inside I quickly realized that this lens is way too long, and the shutter speed became too slow in those relatively dark rooms. I could try out carrying the lens+camera combo by the camera strap, though. So far I'm fine with supporting the lens in one hand, and occasionally letting go, as JimUSNY suggested. But I'll need some more time to see if this works on longer field trips. I'm really looking forward to having longer days again!

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
For carrying, since the lens doesn't have strap hoops, the best thing to do is attach an Arca Swiss plate to the foot that's maybe 90-100mm long and, when walking around, carry the lens with the foot inverted. It's also a lot easier to hold the lens with the foot inverted. This what I've done with both of my larger lenses:

PB190001_IJFR.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom